Main Forum > General Computer Support

Computer will not load or go into safe mode

(1/7) > >>

Siver12:
After running one of the programs from Tweaking.com(i don't remember what one) my Desktop computer running Windows 10 home upgraded from Windows 8 can no longer load up. Sometimes it just loops in a black screen, however today I got 2 different color error screens. Both said some thing. Error code Windows.com/stopcode or it was stop something. One screen was blue the other green. But said the same thing.I tried the media creation disk and the rescue disk. Not sure if I downloaded the rescue disk correctly. So I'm completely stuck on what to do. I do have another laptop so I can get programs I may need downloaded. Anyone who can help I would appreciate it. I'm not a complete noob on Computers but not an expert either. So some of the solutions I'm not completely understanding.

Boggin:
The blue screen is known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) and it's the Stop Error Code that can tell you what has gone wrong.

The green screen I would think would denote a graphics or memory problem - neither of which may relate to running any Tweaking programs.

Can you boot up the machine again to see if you get the blue screen to make a note of the Stop Error Code and post that.

If you don't have a Win 10 install disk or USB you can create one on your other machine after reading the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

As you upgraded from Win 8/8.1 then you will most likely have an UEFI BIOS in which you will need to turn off Secure Boot as well as change the boot order for to boot up with install media.

You can get into the BIOS by pressing and holding F2 as you switch on.

I don't have any experience of an UEFI BIOS so can't walk you through turning off Secure Boot but you would use the cursor keys to navigate to the Boot tab and again to select the media you have used for the install media then use F5 or F6 to move that to the top, insert the install media then press 10 to Save and Exit - press enter to confirm and wait for the machine to boot.

If using a DVD then you will be prompted to press any key to boot from CD/DVD - do that and you may be presented with an inverse screen with Windows Setup (EMS Enabled) highlighted - just press enter.

Use the dropdown to change or confirm the Time and currency format - Next - which will take you to the Install screen.

Click on Repair your computer - Troubleshoot - System Restore or if you have a Windows system image, you can select that.

Click on Windows 10 - Next - and select a restore point to prior your boot problems to see if that will resolve.

If using an USB, the procedure is the same except that you aren't prompted to press any keys to boot from that media.

However, when done you will need to remove the USB before rebooting the machine as it will auto boot from it.

Siver12:
Thanks for the info.ill boot up the computer tomorrow and take a screen shot of those stopcode errors. This has been driving me crazy. Any idea of resources for BIOS configuration.. Im not tob familiar with the BIOS either. Thanks again.

Boggin:
I've found two articles, one is a rough guide to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS and the other is to do it from the advanced boot options, but the latter could be a Catch 22 for you as you will need to boot up with install media first to get there, although it will be handy for future reference.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/disabling-secure-boot

https://fossbytes.com/enable-disable-secure-boot-windows-8-10/

Siver12:
Well Guys I've tried what you have told me without any luck. But mostly it's because I'm not very good with BIOS. When I tried to disable secure boot it brings up another screen showing different ways to boot it up I believe. Not really sure. Still can not get the computer into safemode. Is there a certain way? Thanks again for the help. Its me who's not that knowledgeable with BIOS.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version