Author Topic: Wsearch - Access Denied Error 5  (Read 9334 times)

Offline Johnty53

• View Profile
Wsearch - Access Denied Error 5
« on: March 17, 2018, 05:04:05 am »
Hi, I am new to the forum so a big HELLO from me.
I have been having problems with Windows 10 (fall edition) 32bit for some time now and in particular with trying to get Windows Search Indexing to work. I have tried many things and searched all over the Internet for fixes but have yet to find a fix that works.
I have taken ownership of the SearchIndexer.exe file in System32 but can only do this in Safe Mode but when I reboot back to normal boot the file reverts back to what it was so no changes made!!! Frustrating.
Because I have messed around with permissions I ran your Windows Repair last night but alas it did not fix my search problem. I have previously tried setting permissions to my Admin user account and also TrustedInstaller but neither worked.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edit. Another problem is that I cannot run sfc /scannow in my normal Admin User Account, I get "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation", can only run in Safe Mode which does not return any errors.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:25:35 am by Johnty53 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Wsearch - Access Denied Error 5
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 07:36:47 am »
I'd probably go for a repair install which won't affect your personal stuff or installed programs.

If you don't have Win 10 install media then you can create it on either a DVD or USB after reading the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You probably know how to do this, but I'll go through it anyway.

With the machine booted up, open Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process if using a DVD but will open to its files when using an USB where you will then need to double click on setup Application.

This takes a little over 3hrs on mine and can reset any apps you may have changed back to default.

When done, ensure System Protection is still turned on.

Offline Johnty53

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 08:36:13 am »
Thanks Boggin but the repair install had been done a few days ago but did not cure the problem. Sometimes wish I had my old XP, at least I could manoeuvre stuff in that! I have spent at least 10 hours a day for the past week trying to sort this out. :sad:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 09:09:44 am »
What about creating another admin account should yours have become corrupt ?

Offline Johnty53

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 09:27:53 am »
Hi, yes I have tried that also. If I had to list the things that I have tried it would take me all night! I was just hoping someone else on here had similar problems and managed to sort it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 09:34:36 am »
So I assume you have already been here - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-search-indexer-not-working

Edit - does the cmd dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth do anything for you ?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 09:36:35 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 09:42:08 am »
You've probably been here as well to run the troubleshooter ? - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-repair-broken-windows-search-windows-7-easily

Offline Johnty53

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 10:35:25 am »
Yes have done all of that to no avail but.....

Fingers crossed I think I have fixed it  :smiley:
I went into the registry: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WSearch and changed the location of the ImagePath to another folder on my hard drive e.g. C:\WinSearch\SearchIndexer.exe /Embedding and now the indexing is working. The folders inside c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data are now being populated!
I am now able to rebuild the index so everything looks fine, just have to wait for a few hours for that to finish and then report back hopefully to say that the issue is now fixed.
Thanks for your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 10:39:07 am »
Sorry I wasn't able to help as you had done a lot before coming here, but glad that you have found a solution.

Offline Johnty53

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 03:12:53 am »
No problem Boggin, thank you for taking time out to look at it. Everything seems okay now after 3 hours of indexing!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 03:13:42 am »
Okay :)