Author Topic: SOLVED Lenovo hardware for my computer  (Read 8820 times)

Offline utbas1953

• View Profile
SOLVED Lenovo hardware for my computer
« on: March 24, 2018, 06:51:17 am »
Hello All, I have a Lenovo laptop and also a desktop (which I am typing this on now).  The desktop shut down 12 days ago due to the PSU failure so I sent the computer off for repair under the insurance policy. Yesterday I connected it up and of course there were a few W10 updates to install. What has happened and I can't fathom it out is that the desktop now has an impending install of a Lenovo keyboard and mouse install. Device manager show the correctly attached Logitech keyboard and mouse I have always used. I have a sharing folder with the Lenovo laptop and also my wife's ASUS desktop and have had no problems since doing so some 21 months ago. Can anyone shed some light on why. Please see enclosed screen grab. thanks.   
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 03:24:50 pm by utbas1953 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lenovo hardware for my computer
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 10:17:13 am »
It could be default updates Lenovo are issuing, but you could contact Lenovo for clarification before installing them.

Offline utbas1953

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 10:37:24 am »
Hello Boggin, but i am getting the updates on the desktop computer which has nothing to do with Lenovo. The desktop is a Cyberpower gaming m/c with a MSI motherboard. The Lenovo laptop has no such impending updates. I have not clicked on the install button on the desktop because both the keyboard and mouse are Logitech and are thus indicated as such in Device Manager.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 10:43:33 am »
Hmm...

Can you use your restore points to go back to before these updates appeared and switch off the Lenovo machine to see if they re-appear after the reboot.

It's quite possible they could fail to install when they don't find any corresponding hardware, but you don't want them conflicting to what you are using.

Offline utbas1953

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 10:55:53 am »
The updates only appeared after I got the computer back from repair but I have not yet checked previous restore points. Just a shot in the dark, I wonder if the repair company used a Lenovo keyboard and mouse to run the computer after the repair. Could there be drivers for such on the system.

Offline utbas1953

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 11:00:49 am »
I did look through Device Manager but that did not display anything to do with Lenovo. I am typing this query using the Lenovo laptop as I have yet to connect the external HDDs to the desktop but only booted it up yesterday to check it was running ok.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 11:06:45 am »
Just seen your recent post regarding Device Manager.

Go Start - start to type reliability and press enter when View reliability history comes up.

You can click on any of the dates that have an info symbol or red cross for them but that should show if any drivers have been installed.

Click on the blue tech details link for any and more info will appear at the top.

They may also be listed in Programs and Features - to check there, go Start - type appwiz.cpl and press enter when it comes up.

Offline utbas1953

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 11:29:04 am »
Hi Bogging, nothing there. I'll check restore points. Am now continuing the query on the Desktop

Offline utbas1953

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 12:32:32 pm »
Hello Boggin, I called up the chat function on W10 Updates page and made contact with a MS agent. He led me through various actions and finally said to reboot the computer and the problem should be resolved. He also gave me a case number to get back. The problem was still there so again I made contact, this time with a different MS agent. I explained the procedures the previous agent had prescribed but the problem still existed. He asked if I would allow him to take control and I said OK. He did a few actions and I noticed a file he was downloading was one that I had come across by Googling prior to calling the chat line but I was loathe to download and run it due to my not being sure what to do. He ran the file and it hid the W10 update Lenovo files that were incorrect for my desktop as I am using a Logitech keyboard and mouse. He too finally said to restart the computer and that would rectify the problem. I did so and now am clear. The file he downloaded is wushowhide.diagcab. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 01:33:35 pm »
Well done on getting a MS tech who knew what he was doing :)

I've heard of that file but never used it.

Thanks for the update.

Offline utbas1953

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 03:04:24 pm »
Hi Boggin, I thought it may be useful for those who may have similar problems. Just one thing more....I have forgotten how to enter resolved.  :confused:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 03:05:42 pm »
Go to your opening post and click on Modify where you can add [SOLVED] to the thread title.

Offline utbas1953

• View Profile
Re: SOLVED Lenovo hardware for my computer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 03:25:40 pm »
Thanks Boggin.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SOLVED Lenovo hardware for my computer
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 02:07:19 am »
You're welcome :)