Author Topic: Tweaking.com Win Repair blocked  (Read 10806 times)

Offline ErikdeNoor

• View Profile
Tweaking.com Win Repair blocked
« on: March 29, 2018, 12:46:53 pm »
I am new on this forum. So i don't know if this subject passed already.

If I want to start Tweaking.com Windows Repair I get the error message:
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00000ba). Click OK to close the application."
This is the only application that generates this error message.
I listed this error message in my browser and tried most of the offered solutions (some with a commercial intend). One of the solutions was:
Open the command prompt as administrator and execute "fsc/scannow".
I did and got the answer that corrupted files were found, but not all could be repaired.
Even after starting up in the safe mode did'nt help.

My OS is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Memory 16 GB, Nvidia Geforce GTX1070Ti (MSI). Drives 2x Samsung SSD and 1x 1TB Seagate.
The main programs:
Office 365, Flight Sim Lockheed/Martin Prepar3D v4, Railworks and some other simulations.

I have no indication that this "error" influences other applications.
I don't know when this error started, so I cannot restore to an earlier date.

Please help.

Erik

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking.com Win Repair blocked
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 01:12:15 pm »
Are you using Windows Defender as there's been problems with its Definitions where it has been kicking out the repair program's .exe ?

If you are using WD then see if you can do a manual update on it.

Offline ErikdeNoor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 11:10:35 am »
No, I am using Avast Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Premium, Wise Registry cleaner, Wise Care 365 (payed version) and CCleaner for safety and cleaning purposes. But I do use Windows Defender Fire Wall. Windows defender Antivirus has been disabled.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 01:47:20 pm »
Can you run these cmds -

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

If that says the system is repairable then enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

then do another sfc /scannow

If that still reports that it is unable to repair all files, then download and run SFCFix.exe to see what that reports and can you post its log.

This must be run straight after the sfc /scannow as the CBS log can be volatile.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

Offline ErikdeNoor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 02:43:54 pm »
I did everything in the sequence you suggested:
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth. Result: Could not find anything wrong.
Next step: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. Result OK.
Directly after that the command SFC/scannow. Result:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios."

Next step: Started SFCFix.exe and this tool found something very wrong. So I said yes to fwd. the resulting reports.

I enclosed the above mentioned CBS log and the SFCFix report too.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 04:12:02 pm »
It took me about an hour to go through the CBS log.

What problems were you having before you tried to run the repair program ?

I don't know what has caused all of those duplicate ownership or if they are the cause of SFCFix.exe not being able to run, but given the level of the rest of the corruption I would perform a repair install which won't affect personal stuff or installed programs.

If you don't have install media, you can create either a disk or USB after reading the instructions at - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

To perform a repair install, with the machine booted up, open Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process if using a disk but will open to the files if using an USB where you would then double click on setup Application.

This takes just over 3hrs on my laptops.

Before doing that though, I would perform a chkdsk /r to ensure your HDD is okay.

You can view the log in Event Viewer by expanding Windows Logs - click on Application/Action/Find then type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box and read the log in the scrollable pane below.

I'm shooting off to roost shortly as it's turned midnight here in the UK.

Offline ErikdeNoor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 08:48:57 am »
OK, your first question:
There was only one problem; I could not start your very good program "Tweaking.com Windows Repair All in One". Error message  appeared as described before. All other programs and applications started normal.
Regardless of the fact that Malware bytes and Avast did'nt start to yell at me I have the feeling that something wrong like malware or so tries to avoid that I clean up Windows once in a while.
So my next step is to follow up on your advice to perform a repair install of Windows.
I will report you about the results.

By the way, already in this phase, thanks a lot for all the effort you already put in my problem.
I hope it will serve other forum members later on, (after a final and successful solution).

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 08:52:56 am »
You're welcome as to the help.

Don't forget to run the chkdsk /r first and have you run a scan with MBAM to ensure you are infection free ?

Offline ErikdeNoor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 11:51:01 am »
OK, Chkdsk/r and MBAM executed; no damaged sector, virus malware found.
Next step Windows repair.

After that I tried to start Tweaking.com - Windows Repair, unfortunately with the same results as before.
I have \CBS.log attached. Luckily a bit shorter than before.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 01:27:03 pm »
Did you run another sfc /scannow to produce that CBS log ?

I'm just wondering if the chkdsk /r sorted out the file structure to resolve those duplicate ownership.

Can you try to run the program again and when it fails, go straight into Event Viewer to see what it/if has recorded for that time stamped error.

Can you also check to see if SFCFix.exe will run now and as before, this needs to be run straight after a sfc /scannow.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:31:18 pm by Boggin »

Offline ErikdeNoor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 02:05:49 pm »
I just ran an sfc/scannow, pls find the CBS log attached. Although everything seems to be clean I also ran SFCFix.exe again. Plas find also this log attached. Nothing wrong is seems. But I still cannot start Tweaking.com - Windows Repair.

I was wondering how "event viewer" was translated in Dutch (my Win 10 version). Simply "logboeken".
But there is a lot of different logs and since it is late in the evening already for both you and me, we better start with Easter preparations like hiding egs for my grandchildren.

I hope and wish that we continue later to find this ??????? :evil: :angry: which seems to block only Tweaking.com win repair, even with a clean registry.

Thanks for now and I wish you Happy Easter.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 03:04:28 pm »
So did the sfc /scannow report it was unable to repair some files ?

It would seem that SFCFix.exe doesn't look upon those duplicate ownership as corruption/errors.

In Event Viewer ensure Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted in the left pane - if it isn't then just click on it.

When it has read the data, click on the name Error then on View All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane then look for a date and time stamped event for when the program failed to run.

Clicking on any will produce a bit more info in the pane below.

You can copy & paste any after clicking on them by clicking on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane then right click in the reply box and select Paste.

(I'll probably have to use Google Translate to read them :) )

I've had a Google for that duplicate ownership which others have also had in Win 10 and other versions of Windows with so far, no solution.

Could you turn your UAC down or off before trying Tweaking again to see if it's that.

I'm going to ask my Support to have a look at your CBS log to see if any of the duplicate ownerships could be the cause of the program not running.

I won't be hiding any eggs anywhere but have given Easter eggs to my grand kids - well I still call them kids even though one has turned 18 :)

Happy Easter to you as well - I've been meaning to Google to see why we have eggs at Easter  :thinking:

Offline ErikdeNoor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 12:20:39 pm »
Ran sfc/scannow and FSCfix.exe one more time today with the same result as yesterday evening.
Checked the event viewer and made a screen grab of one of these events. I enclosed that event.jpg and also a screen grab from fsc/scannow result.
I understand that UAC has something to do with Users Aaccount Control. How exactly can I turn that down safely?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 03:02:44 pm »
That's strange that the sfc /scannow is no longer reporting that it can't repair some files.

Before you expanded the Event Viewer, did it look like mine below ?

In Event Viewer when Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted you will get these options and then clicking on the name Error and then on View All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane, will list just the Error Events and their ID numbers as in my second pic - yours seems to be a different log, but nothing that I can attribute to WR not starting, unless it's that Popup error.

This is how to lower or disable UAC but it's only for the duration that will take you to try WR and then you can put it back to the way it was.

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-turn-off-and-disable-uac-in-windows-10/

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:44:07 pm by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 03:52:23 am »
Can you expand those Popup errors to see what info it gives for them.

Offline ErikdeNoor

• View Profile
Attached the only extra detail from the event.

I also disabled the UAC and tried to start Tweakers.com win Repair. Result as before. Nada.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:28:49 am by ErikdeNoor, Reason: SOLVED »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 02:16:19 pm »
Unfortunately I can't copy & paste that to translate with Google Translate.

Does it translate to any of the errors in this article - http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=26&source=application+popup

I was going to suggest uninstalling 4.0.15 and installing 4.0.14 before I Googled for that Popup error.

You can still try that and you can get 4.0.14 from - https://filehippo.com/download_tweaking-com-windows-repair/

Download links on the right.

Offline ErikdeNoor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 08:01:51 am »
I've got news!

I could not find any relation at all with the article you referred to.

Next step:
Like you advised I uninstalled version 4.0.15, followed by a session of WiseCare 365, which cleaned program remains if there were any. Then a session of CCleaner (free) which found some related remains in the windows registry.
From these remains I made 3 Screen Grab prints, which I enclosed with this post.

Next I installed version 4.0.14 and "Lo and Behold" IT WORKED. I could start the application and switch to different steps steps in the program.

Now I was challenged by this result.
So I uninstalled version 4.0.14, followed by extra cleaning as in the steps before and downloaded and installed version 4.0.16 with again succesfull result. ( See screen grab print).

I want to thank you for your effort to guide me through the trouble shooting steps.
Appreciating this service so much I immediately bought the pro version.
Thanks again and I hope this helps other users if they encounter the same sort of problem.

Best Regards,

Erik

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 08:11:05 am »
That's great news.

As well as WD and MSE finding problems with 4.0.15 it must have been in conflict with something on your computer which wasn't in .14 or .16

Haven't a clue what that could have been as it wouldn't run in Safe Mode for you either.

Glad to see that you have bought the Pro version as it gives Shane some reward for all of the work he has and continues to put into it.

If you go to your opening post and click on Modify you can add [SOLVED] to the thread title.