Author Topic: Windows Installer - Error 2203  (Read 8242 times)

Offline ste46co

• View Profile
Windows Installer - Error 2203
« on: April 11, 2018, 03:25:39 pm »
I have a seemingly intractable problem with Windows Installer. I find I am unable to install, repair or uninstall any application that uses the MSI installer. The usual error message is "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code is 2203." This has happened with one fresh installation and since then with three existing installations I have been using as test cases while I've looked for solutions, so clearly this is not a problem with installation packages themselves. Google comes up with hundreds of references to this problem, and I have tried all the common suggestions, which I may as well list here to avoid unnecessary dialogue:
      - Checked that the Temp environment variables are correctly defined
      - Checked ownership and permissions of Temp and Installer folders
      - Stopped and restarted the Windows Installer service
      - Unregistered and re-registered Msiexec.exe
      - Took ownership of the installer file
      - Ran WindowsInstallerDiagnostic.diagcab (which just messed up two installations)
      - Used SFC and DISM to check for component errors
      - Scanned for malware with various tools
      - Checked for Registry errors
      - Tried carrying out installations in Safe Mode
      - Carried out all the repairs in Tweaking.com Windows Repair.

Fortunately I am still able to download and install Windows security and other updates. No other computer operations appear to be affected. My system is Windows 8.1 64-bit. The only active anti-malware program I am currently running is Malwarebytes 3.4.5. I am not sure when exactly this issue arose, but some other possibly relevant information is:
      - Major breakdown some weeks ago caused by a crash of my Intel RAID setup, which could not be repaired (I now run on one drive)
      - Repeated BSODs caused by the latest version of Bitdefender Antivirus Pro (since uninstalled) and possibly also by the the previous version of Malwarebytes (3.4.4).

I have attached a couple of MSI logs. Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Stephen

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Installer - Error 2203
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 02:39:23 am »
As the Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility failed to reconfigure, I'm not sure if reinstalling it would help, but create a restore point before doing so.

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005651/processors.html

Offline ste46co

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 07:11:04 am »
I just chose the Intel processor ID utility because this as a pretty simple and not very important program already installed on my computer to test the effects of various potential solutions to my problem, instead of something like, say, iTunes, which creates a huge footprint and writes stuff all over the Registy, and would therefore be a real pain to try and repair if I screwed things up (though I am making disk images all the time right now). My point is that I could have chosen any program that uses the MSI installer, whether for install, reinstall, repair or uninstall, and get the same error 2203 impasse. I was hoping that the MSI logs would point to some specific Windows problem, as I don't know how to interpret them myself. Are there any other system logs or third-party logging programs that might be able to pinpont exactly where things go wrong? Of course Event Viewer records the problem, but this also does not provide much help to the average use. Following online threads to Windows technical resources is usually a waste of time, as their technical assistance people are rarely able to solve anything if Checkdisk, SFC and DISM don't fix it -- and as I mentioned, the so-called Microsoft Installer diagnostic cab only succeeded in ruining two other installed programs for me, which I am now unable to reinstall again.

Thanks,

Stephen

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 09:52:30 am »
Have you considered a repair install which doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs ?

If you don't have Win 8.1 install media you can download the ISO from http://windowsiso.net/

Just hover over Win 8.1 and then the sub menus and click on Standard.

You can use this tool to create a bootable DVD or USB - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485

To perform a repair install, open Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This should start the process when using a DVD but will open to its files if using an USB where you would double click on setup Application.

I've never used Win 8/8.1 but I believe the licence key is built into the machine so it should auto activate.

Offline ste46co

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 10:28:57 am »
I'm hoping to find some precision fix, but yes, this would be like a taking a hammer to it if all else fails. And of course, if anything goes wrong, there's nothing like having a full disk backup!  Thanks for the suggestion and info on how to do it.

Stephen

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 01:49:43 pm »
I've performed this on my Win 10 machines and while it can take over 3hrs, you can spend a lot longer looking for a fix - but I'll ask my Support to have a look at this for you.

Offline ste46co

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 02:53:08 pm »
I guess you're right there, but to be honest I didn't realize there was a way to repair-install Windows without wiping out all my other installed programs -- it's not one of the options that Windows provides in its Advanced repair menu (most of which I've never found very helpful -- e.g. System Restore usually fails for no obvious reason in my experience).

Thanks,

Stephen

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 03:04:24 pm »
I'd meant to ask this before but did you use Bitdefender's Uninstaller to get rid of it or just Windows Uninstall ?

Offline ste46co

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 03:17:37 pm »
I always use Revo Uninstaller -- the application's own uninstaller runs first, then Revo searches for the inevitable file and Registry leftovers. Following that I do my own scavenging to make sure I've got rid of all traces. The problems with Bitdefender and maybe with Malwarebytes arose from the boot-time security drivers they load, i.e. the various SYS files they install in C:\Windows\system32\drivers. The lastest version of Malwarebytes hasn't caused a problem (yet!), but I won't be going back to Bitdefender, which seems to be getting too bloated and intrusive.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 03:40:00 pm »
I once tried Bitdefender Free as a possible replacement to my Norton Security, but it was always slow in starting with Windows, so I dumped it and have decided to stay with Norton.

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 07:46:10 am »
There is most likely a problem with the permissions of your %Temp% folder. Giving SYSTEM modify permissions should fix that.

Offline ste46co

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 08:01:43 am »
Thanks, but been there, done that, and many other proposed fixes I found online!

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com

Offline ste46co

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 05:35:39 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that's no help. I'm going to carry out a Windows repair-reinstall as earlier suggested when I have the time, or urgently need to update or install software that uses MSI. Nothing less drastic has  got me anywhere with this problem.