Author Topic: Win 1803 ran Tweaking, now windows update does not work on both laptops  (Read 12379 times)

Offline jg1234

• View Profile
I currently have no known problem. 

I thought the program was intended to fix, set & improve the running of windows.

If it breaks windows update function, that is not good.

I have run dism, chdsk, etc.  It appears to be working great as long as I DO NOT run TWEAKING

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Windows Repair isn't a tune up program, but designed to fix problems.

If you don't have any problems then there is no need to run it.

I'm still waiting for Shane to come back with a solution which will probably be in the form of another version, but it would appear to be difficult to nail down.

It doesn't affect Win 7 as it does Win 10, so there must have been something in 1803 which so far has remained undetectable - I assume.

Offline nfelsman

• View Profile
Just thought this might help a few of you out.

The same thing has been happening for me running Tweaking Windows Repair on 1803 machines. Windows updates would error out and nothing would work short of a restore or a reload.

What I found to fix the issue was to run service repairs on the Backround Intelligent Transfer service (BITS) and the Windows Update service (wuauserv).

You can find the registry repair files here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/57567-restore-default-services-windows-10-a.html.

After running those 2 fixes and rebooting, windows update goes back to working. It's worked on 7 different computers for me so far.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:48:17 am by nfelsman »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
When I ran it on my Win 10 to check it out and it took out the updates, I found that restoring with the auto registry backup reinstated Windows Update, but that wouldn't have fixed the problem(s) why WR was run in the first place.

However, thanks for posting your solution as having reinstalled those two services may help to resolve it in the repair program.

One of the repairs is to repair services damaged by infection - not sure if this is where the problem occurs, so I'll run the program again with that repair unchecked to see if it still takes out Windows Update.

I'll see if reinstalling those services will fix the mmc.exe problem it also causes on mine which the registry restore doesn't fix.

EDIT - My error - the repair is to remove policies set by infections and not anything to do with services, so I haven't run the program again.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:07:23 pm by Boggin »

Offline six1six1

• View Profile
Just thought this might help a few of you out.

The same thing has been happening for me running Tweaking Windows Repair on 1803 machines. Windows updates would error out and nothing would work short of a restore or a reload.

What I found to fix the issue was to run service repairs on the Backround Intelligent Transfer service (BITS) and the Windows Update service (wuauserv).

You can find the registry repair files here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/57567-restore-default-services-windows-10-a.html.

After running those 2 fixes and rebooting, windows update goes back to working. It's worked on 7 different computers for me so far.

This fix worked for me on Windows 10 Pro 1803. Many thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Shane has now fixed the update problem WR was causing in Win 10 with the release of 4.0.22

This version will restore the update function caused by earlier WR versions without the need for extreme other solutions and earlier versions should not be used in Win 10.