Author Topic: Nothing urgent but these problems recurre for many months  (Read 4481 times)

Offline ylidor

• View Profile
Nothing urgent but these problems recurre for many months
« on: May 20, 2018, 11:22:01 am »
I guess these 2 minor issues really don't hurt, so I just tried to not pay attention to them, but they just won't go away for months, so it starts to bather me.

First: most days I get a message that registry/system backup could not be completed. I checked the last log (attached) and it shows that backing up "C:\Users\DefaultAppPool\ntuser.dat" failed because the file is in use. I guess this is the recurrent problem although I did not check the log over several failing days.

Second: In the pre-scan I have 2 reparse errors that reparse repair can't handle (log attached).

Are there any simple solutions to solve these 2 issues, or should I just "let it go" until an auto-upgrade to a newer version of windows may solve them?

My current version is:   Win 10 Pro Version 1709 OS Build 16299.431.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing urgent but these problems recurre for many months
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 03:05:59 pm »
Did you try the back up in Safe Mode with Networking ?

As for the reparse points, do you have WINE or Avast installed ?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:14:09 pm by Boggin »

Offline ylidor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 11:27:17 pm »
Hi Boggin,

As to the first question: I did not because I'm not so much concerned about manual backups, but rather about the daily automatic backups that the tweaking.com program does. For several years it did the job well without any notification but then, several months ago, I started to get these notifications almost every night. Even if I would try it in safe mode with networking, I may coincidentally stumble on a day without a problem so the diagnostic value of doing it is questionable. I'm just wondering why the program can't backup a "busy" file on certain days. Could it be that my Antivirus (Yes Avast) doesn't allow it? When I talking about Avast - I did switch to it from AVG about half a year ago.

As to the second question: Avast. I don't recall that I had these 2 issues when I was using AVG, but I have to admit that this is just a general impression/recollection.

Thanks for your reply   

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:23:00 am »
When I did a search for SHCreateDirectoryExW I found that Avast was a program that could have created that.

I think I once had a reparse point that wouldn't fix and found it had been created by my Norton Security.

I'm not sure if I resolved that by uninstalling/reinstalling Norton.

To eliminate Avast as the cause of those notifications, uninstall it and then see - you will have Windows Defender to fall back on.

You could also run the Pre-Scan again to see if you still get those SHCreateDirectoryExW reparse points snagging.

If you still get the notifications with Avast out of the way, I'll pass it on.

Offline ylidor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 10:23:28 pm »
Thanks Boggin,

I think that you indicated the general direction of the problem: that most likely the AV may be the problem. I'm not sure if I want to go through a clean removal of AVAST. First I'll try to completely deactivate it in Safe Mode without networking and see if this would solve the problems. I bet it won't as Avast is still lurking in the background even when it's completely deactivated.
If this would be unsuccessful, I'll try to search if these pesky reparse points missing directories can be fixed manually.
If both won't work then I'll consider uninstalling Avast.

I may take me some time but I'll report results here.

Thanks you so much, Ron

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 01:29:29 am »
I can turn off my Norton Security from within its settings although I don't know what can be done with Avast.

However, I think those files will still be there as the program is installed so a Pre-Scan will still probably snag them.