Author Topic: Various comments  (Read 7614 times)

Offline GLykos

• View Profile
Various comments
« on: June 27, 2018, 12:50:16 am »
Hello again!  Am using 4.22 free and am disappointed that you steadfastly refuse to clean up the setup re preserving user-defined installation directories and the tray icon display and configuration logic.  Guess standing pat has now become a matter of pride - in what exactly remains unclear.

Had occasion to reach for WR after buggering up Win 7 Pro 32-bit while trying some things out during a hard-drive migration without being properly prepared.  Blindly shotgunning, elected a number of basic repair options.  Seems to have gotten me moving forward, but was surprised in troubleshooting a resulting new WMI issue that the "repaired" registry ImagePath for service Winmgmt for some reason pointed to netsvcs rather than winmgmt.  Following troubleshooting guidance and trying to start the service resulted in a run-time error 1083:  "The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service." (in retrospect: d'oh, really?)  Happily, editing the path with the appropriate service name was sufficient to get it working again.  I'd have thought this to be a basic function in a mature product.  I presume this resulted from the WMI repair but did not loop back to test it to confirm where it got broken.

On a cosmetic user-interface level, spent a little time pondering the System Monitor line at the bottom of the repair screen while chunking through them.  Isn't apparently why the gray and blue backgrounds need to jitter around, but it's visual noise (or else I missed the point of it, also a possibility).  The percent value jumps nonstop from whole numbers like 50 to four-place decimals like 3.1354 and everywhere in between, with a blue-gray divide typically on top of that somewhere partially obscuring the number.  A constant numerical presentation format without multiple backgrounds sliding around would be less tiring to accompany and more easily decipherable while admiring progress.  The Monitor subdisplay is a common denominator across the modules.

Thanks for making WR available!

Regards,
George