Author Topic: Run common repairs and have some questions  (Read 7651 times)

Offline BarneyFife

• View Profile
Run common repairs and have some questions
« on: July 02, 2018, 05:13:38 pm »
I have used this program before and with great success but this time not so good.
Question one is which feature do i NOT run to stop the program from defaulting my apps such as .PDF files opening with Edge instead of Adobe.

Question two is Why? I ran the program and did  everything as instructed like usual. When I ran the "make a restore point" the program said it was made successfully and i moved on and ran the fixes. when it was done i was not sure i wanted to keep the fixes and tried to find the restore point but its not there. It doesn't seem to create a restore point. Is it created somewhere else instead of the normal place in windows? If so Why? I had to create one manually now but its too late.

The problem i am having is with a Lenovo ultrabook. It was running windows 8.1 and updated to Win 10. Its been great but since one of the last updates the problem is that the system will not boot to windows the first time. It just sits forever at the Lenovo logo. But if i force shutdown and reboot all is well. I have found if i disable Turn on Fast Bootup it will work but i still seem to have a long shutdown waiting period, sometimes not shutting down, just spinning and spinning. Have you heard of this?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Run common repairs and have some questions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 01:19:01 am »
Not physically creating a restore point has been reported before and including by me where I'll no longer have it create it.

However, it does auto create a registry back up prior to running the repairs.

Use the program to boot up into Safe Mode with Networking then open it to click on Backup Tools - Restore under Registry Backup - Restore Registry - then use the dropdown to select the back up and then hit Restore Now

When I run the program I uncheck all boxes relating to the App repairs but it has still affected some and I've had my default browser changed back to Edge from IE and I can get up to 14 notifications that there was a problem with such and such an app which was then reverted to whatever.

I only run the program to check out each version or to try and replicate what others have reported.

A couple of things I'd like you to check and they are if you can still access Device Manager and Services.

I normally access Services my going Start - type services.msc and press enter.

For either, I get a window pop up telling me that the Administrator has blocked mmc.exe to protect me and reverting through the registry restore option doesn't resolve.

So far, I'm the only known one that is getting this error which is under investigation.

Fortunately I always create a system image before running any program that can change the system, so I can get out of that.

As for the problem caused by the last update, I'd take that up with MS.

Click on Contact support in https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/contactus/ and describe your problem.

Help with problems caused by updates are free and another member has gone this route because of a problem caused by an update.

Offline BarneyFife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 02:05:51 pm »
if there is a known issue with the restore points not being created then there should either be a warning or take the feature out until it can be fixed or at least let is say it was NOT completed successfully. The fact that it says it was completed led me to believe i had a backup and was good to go.
Im not sure a registry restore will get me completely back and quite frankly im not to trusting right now. Do you think restoring the registry will get me back to the last state the machine was in?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 02:07:27 pm »
It should do providing you don't have the mmc.exe error.

EDIT - You could turn off Hibernate which will clear the Hiberfil file.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter powercfg -h off

You can turn it back on by redoing the cmd using on instead of off.

Enter exit to close the cmd window and then see if that improves the shut down time.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 02:23:22 pm by Boggin »

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 11:08:02 pm »
if there is a known issue with the restore points not being created then there should either be a warning or take the feature out until it can be fixed or at least let is say it was NOT completed successfully. The fact that it says it was completed led me to believe i had a backup and was good to go.
Im not sure a registry restore will get me completely back and quite frankly im not to trusting right now. Do you think restoring the registry will get me back to the last state the machine was in?

I've got to agree with BarneyFife on this one - I think this issue needs to be fixed or, if it can't be proven to work reliably, removed from Windows Repair. It's fundamental to the repair process and can catch out the unwary. I know it doesn't work reliably on my system, don't rely on it, and would always use Windows' own process to create a restore point, which has always worked for me - and I always have a recent disk copy and / or image created with Future Systems Solutions' Casper, as well as a registry backup, prior to "dabbling".

I don't understand why this process can fail in Windows Repair - I would have thought it just calls up exactly the same procedure that the Windows process does. Where does it differ?
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 01:03:54 am »
Following this latest complaint about the restore point not being created, I'd emailed Shane about it again and passed on Barney's suggestion for it to be removed.

From Win 8/8.1 if a restore point had been created within 24hrs then it wouldn't create another one.

Shane had changed this in WR and it works for him, so he was unable to replicate it still not being created.

Hopefully something can be done about it.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 03:12:22 am »
I haven't tried to create a restore point via WR in a while, for the reasons stated, but I will try to create and restore one again from WR, just to see if I can still demonstrate the problem in Windows 7. Probably won't have the chance for a few days. Are there any logs I could provide that might be useful in diagnosing the problem if I can recreate it?
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 03:20:18 am »
I can only think of Event Viewer but that may not even record it - I've never checked and it's also been a while since I checked the restore point creation in either Win 7 or 10.

The fact that it occurs - or doesn't occur may be sufficient to look into it.

Offline BarneyFife

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 06:39:02 am »
The problem I'm now having after r u nning WR is the laptop is restarting when I click shutdown. I don't know what caused this but it may have started after a update. I can try going to MS as suggested.
In the meantime I feel I want to go back to where I was but I don't have a restore point. Does anyone have an opinion on whether the registry backup will take me back or not?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 08:18:30 am »
That is what the auto registry back up is for.

If it still auto restarts after reverting with the registry restore option, then have a look at this article - I assume you are using Win 10 ?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-restarts-after-selecting-shutdown

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 06:57:31 am »
I haven't tried to create a restore point via WR in a while, for the reasons stated, but I will try to create and restore one again from WR, just to see if I can still demonstrate the problem in Windows 7. Probably won't have the chance for a few days. Are there any logs I could provide that might be useful in diagnosing the problem if I can recreate it?

Just tried the Create System Restore function in Windows Repair 2018 v. 4.0.23 and it reported that it had created one about 5 seconds after I had pressed the button!!!!!!

I don't think it works for me on my Windows 7 system.............

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 06:59:58 am by Still_Game »
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 07:11:36 am »
I tried 4.0.23 yesterday and it didn't create one for me in Win 10 on one machine - I've yet to try it on my other Win 10 and 7 machines.

As well as a continuing mmc.exe error, I've passed these onto Shane.