Main Forum > Tweaking.com Support & Help

MSN news app broken

(1/5) > >>

colman2048:
Hello Shane,

The default news app MSN news in Windows 10 Pro is broken. When I launch the MSN news app, the app will automatically shut itself down after displaying the news for one second . I have tried to fix it using Windows Repair Pro 2018 (version 4.0.23) but it could not fix the MSN news app.  I also tried to uninstalling and reinstalling it but it could not fix the automatic shut down. I am running Windows 10 Pro version 1803 (OS build 17134.165). Thank you for your help.

Coleman

Boggin:
Have you tried running the Windows Apps troubleshooter - go Start - Settings cog - Update & Security - Troubleshoot then scroll down to and click on Windows Apps.

There is a powershell cmd you can try which has been found to work - but not always.

Open a Powershell (Admin) or go Start - type powershell then press CTRL+SHIFT+Enter - accept the UAC then copy & paste this cmd to the prompt and press enter -

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Enter exit to close the cmd window and try the app again.

Noddy:
I tried this fix because I have the same problem with Microsoft news and Microsoft Money opening then closing immediately. I am also having problems with Repair 08 MDAC MS/JET failing and am wondering if these issues may be related? When I ran all repairs, 08 repair MDAC MS/JET ran for 19 hours, so I unchecked that one and everthing else ran okay. I went back and ran just 08 and get a failure message (see attached). I just joined and apologize if I am not doing this correctly. By the way, the fix you suggested doesn't work for me; I get a failure when installing the package because sticky notes, Cortana, etc were in use, so should I be doing this in safe mode?

Thanks.

Boggin:

--- Quote from: Noddy on July 19, 2018, 10:14:38 pm ---I tried this fix because I have the same problem with Microsoft news and Microsoft Money opening then closing immediately. I am also having problems with Repair 08 MDAC MS/JET failing and am wondering if these issues may be related? When I ran all repairs, 08 repair MDAC MS/JET ran for 19 hours, so I unchecked that one and everthing else ran okay. I went back and ran just 08 and get a failure message (see attached). I just joined and apologize if I am not doing this correctly. By the way, the fix you suggested doesn't work for me; I get a failure when installing the package because sticky notes, Cortana, etc were in use, so should I be doing this in safe mode?

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

Perhaps you could try that cmd with sticky notes turned off.

I have Cortana disabled and don't use any of the Apps, but I assume the majority have Cortana as is so I don't think that would conflict.

If you want to eliminate Cortana as a cause, I have attached a batch file whereby you can turn Cortana off and on.

I've just ran the cmd on this machine and while I got a few error messages about certain packages not able to be installed because a later version was already installed, each process completed successfully.

I created a restore point before running the cmd.

If the cmd still fails for you with sticky notes and Cortana disabled and you still have problems either with MSN and Money and the MDAC/MSJet repair hanging, I'll pass it on to my Support.

Noddy:
Thank you very much for the quick response. I will retry the process with Cortana and Sticky notes disabled and let you know how it goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version