Author Topic: MSN news app broken  (Read 8548 times)

Offline colman2048

• View Profile
MSN news app broken
« on: July 18, 2018, 10:05:13 am »
Hello Shane,

The default news app MSN news in Windows 10 Pro is broken. When I launch the MSN news app, the app will automatically shut itself down after displaying the news for one second . I have tried to fix it using Windows Repair Pro 2018 (version 4.0.23) but it could not fix the MSN news app.  I also tried to uninstalling and reinstalling it but it could not fix the automatic shut down. I am running Windows 10 Pro version 1803 (OS build 17134.165). Thank you for your help.

Coleman

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MSN news app broken
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:29:01 pm »
Have you tried running the Windows Apps troubleshooter - go Start - Settings cog - Update & Security - Troubleshoot then scroll down to and click on Windows Apps.

There is a powershell cmd you can try which has been found to work - but not always.

Open a Powershell (Admin) or go Start - type powershell then press CTRL+SHIFT+Enter - accept the UAC then copy & paste this cmd to the prompt and press enter -

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Enter exit to close the cmd window and try the app again.

Offline Noddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 10:14:38 pm »
I tried this fix because I have the same problem with Microsoft news and Microsoft Money opening then closing immediately. I am also having problems with Repair 08 MDAC MS/JET failing and am wondering if these issues may be related? When I ran all repairs, 08 repair MDAC MS/JET ran for 19 hours, so I unchecked that one and everthing else ran okay. I went back and ran just 08 and get a failure message (see attached). I just joined and apologize if I am not doing this correctly. By the way, the fix you suggested doesn't work for me; I get a failure when installing the package because sticky notes, Cortana, etc were in use, so should I be doing this in safe mode?

Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 01:26:43 am »
I tried this fix because I have the same problem with Microsoft news and Microsoft Money opening then closing immediately. I am also having problems with Repair 08 MDAC MS/JET failing and am wondering if these issues may be related? When I ran all repairs, 08 repair MDAC MS/JET ran for 19 hours, so I unchecked that one and everthing else ran okay. I went back and ran just 08 and get a failure message (see attached). I just joined and apologize if I am not doing this correctly. By the way, the fix you suggested doesn't work for me; I get a failure when installing the package because sticky notes, Cortana, etc were in use, so should I be doing this in safe mode?

Thanks.

Perhaps you could try that cmd with sticky notes turned off.

I have Cortana disabled and don't use any of the Apps, but I assume the majority have Cortana as is so I don't think that would conflict.

If you want to eliminate Cortana as a cause, I have attached a batch file whereby you can turn Cortana off and on.

I've just ran the cmd on this machine and while I got a few error messages about certain packages not able to be installed because a later version was already installed, each process completed successfully.

I created a restore point before running the cmd.

If the cmd still fails for you with sticky notes and Cortana disabled and you still have problems either with MSN and Money and the MDAC/MSJet repair hanging, I'll pass it on to my Support.

Offline Noddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 12:11:14 pm »
Thank you very much for the quick response. I will retry the process with Cortana and Sticky notes disabled and let you know how it goes.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 02:22:01 pm »
Okay.

Offline Noddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 02:31:44 pm »
I downloaded and ran the disable Cortana zip, but it is still running on my PC and it just reappears when I close it in task manager. I also ran the App troubleshooter, but it did not fix the problem with Microsoft news or money apps which still close as soon as they are opened. I attached the results from the Add app for reference. I haven't re run the 08 repair MDAC MS/JET, but suspect it hasn't changed. I will post after I have rebooted and tried it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 03:10:01 pm »
I still see Cortana in my Task Manager but when disabled, it changes your search box.

I don't have anything on my computer to read that file.

Did you run the Get-AppXPackage cmd ?

Offline Noddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 03:52:14 pm »
Yes, I did run the Get-AppXPackage cmd. Below shows the results of that.  I do see the change in the start window search that indicates that Cortana is disabled. I am still seeing the 08 MDAC MS/JET Repair freeze too.

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.
At line:1 char:38
+ ...  | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\AppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\AppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D06, The package could not be installed because a higher version of this package is already
installed.
Windows cannot install package Microsoft.Services.Store.Engagement_10.0.1610.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe because it has version 10.0.1610.0. A higher version
10.0.17112.0 of this package is already installed.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] c3f574e4-206c-0000-12a4-f5c36c20d401 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog
-ActivityID c3f574e4-206c-0000-12a4-f5c36c20d401
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D06, The package could not be installed because a higher version of this package is already
installed.
Windows cannot install package Microsoft.Services.Store.Engagement_10.0.1610.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe because it has version 10.0.1610.0. A higher version
10.0.17112.0 of this package is already installed.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] c3f574e4-206c-0000-4ba4-f5c36c20d401 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog
-ActivityID c3f574e4-206c-0000-4ba4-f5c36c20d401
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be installed because resources it modifies are currently in use.
error 0x80073D02: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.10.7.17134_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] c3f574e4-206c-0004-d1a7-f5c36c20d401 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog
-ActivityID c3f574e4-206c-0004-d1a7-f5c36c20d401
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (C:\Windows\Syst...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 04:02:49 pm »
Yes, I had a few of those as well but the ones that were processed reported as complete.

I've just opened MS Money and it worked okay.

I haven't tried this but does MSN and Money open in Safe Mode with Networking or in a clean boot ?

Offline Noddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 07:34:47 pm »
I tried it in safe mode and nothing changed, Microsoft news and money open for a split second, then close with no messages. I should also mention that my default apps seem to be occasionally undefaulting, and I have to select them again as default apps. I am assuming that this may be connected with the other issue with Microsoft news and money and the 08 MDAC MS/Jet repair failure.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 12:27:53 am »
Perhaps a repair install may resolve this.

A repair install doesn't affect your personal stuff or 3rd party installed programs and may/not default any apps that have been changed.

When I've performed this, IE has still remained my default browser, but on a couple of occasions it has removed it from my taskbar.

To do this you'll need Win 10 install media - either a DVD or USB which you can create after reading the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

When you've done that, open Windows Explorer - click on This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process when using a DVD but will open to its files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup Application.

This takes about 3½hrs on mine and produces a Windows.old folder of about 20GB.

I normally run Disk Cleanup after to get rid of this and as I'm using a HDD, will follow that with a defrag.

After you have run Disk Cleanup and it shows you what you can delete, click on Clean system files which will give you the option to remove the Windows.old folder.

Offline Noddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 12:20:09 pm »
I think you may be right. I am also having problems with Rome II crashing while loading, and it started the same day I ran the repair program. I will try the repair instal and let you know how it goes.

Offline Noddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 10:31:38 pm »
Well, things have been going from bad to worse. The Win 10 repair install failed and while I see that a new version of Windows repair appears to be available, when I click on the link for it, I am taken to a page where the last update seems to be 7/12/18 not 7/20/18 and the version I download is the same version that caused the problem and still hangs at 08 MDAC MS/JET: registering 132 files. Can you give me the link for the latest version if there is one please? I tried to update the version.23 but it says it is the latest version while your website shows the newest version as .22, but links back to .s3. I am confused and despairing of getting this fixed without having to format my drive. See below for a paste of your main screen.

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v4.0.22 Released
Posted by: Administrator on: 07/20/2018 01:41 AM
Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v4.0.22 Released.
https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html (This link takes you to version v4.0.23 download)

v4.0.22
Fixed major bug where repair windows updates would break the app store and windows updates.
This was due to a change MS made to the services and the program was putting old entries back, this has been corrected and updated.
If you ran WR and it broke windows updates just run this version and choose repair windows updates and it will fix it :-)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 01:15:24 am »
Yes, I've reported the change in the home page to my Support but haven't had a reply yet.

You can download the latest version from https://filehippo.com/download_tweaking-com-windows-repair/

I find your last post confusing as your opening post infers that you had the MSN and Money problem before you ran Windows Repair and that you ran the program in an attempt to fix it.

Can you explain more how the repair install failed ?

Offline Noddy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 12:49:27 pm »
The "fix" I was referring to in my initial post was the powershell command referred to below in your reply. I had already run the Windows repair and as noted it hung for 19 hours before I stopped the repair program and retried it without the 08 MDAC MS/JET repair item ticked. I retried the Win 10 repair install and it failed a second time with no error code or explanation. Thanks for the link, I will try that.

"Have you tried running the Windows Apps troubleshooter - go Start - Settings cog - Update & Security - Troubleshoot then scroll down to and click on Windows Apps.

There is a powershell cmd you can try which has been found to work - but not always.

Open a Powershell (Admin) or go Start - type powershell then press CTRL+SHIFT+Enter - accept the UAC then copy & paste this cmd to the prompt and press enter -

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Enter exit to close the cmd window and try the app again."

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 01:22:35 pm »
So to clarify, did WR cause your App problems ?

Can you try the repair install again with your antivirus program disabled but first check that all of your drivers are up to date.

I normally do that via Device Manger/View/Show hidden devices and then I can check to see if there are any yellow alerts.

Can you remember how far the repair install got before it failed ?

Offline Noddy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 05:13:50 pm »
All of my drivers are up to date. The Windows repair seems to have been the cause of my Microsoft news and money failing to open. I was also getting problems with the default apps as well. I used the link you provided in the last post for the corrected version of Windows repair (Windows Repair v4.0.22), which, by the way, takes me to a site where the latest Windows repair is shown as: Windows Repair v4.0.23. I selected the Windows Repair v4.0.22 to download, per the Tweaking.com's notice, is that correct? After installing that version, I still get the hang up at 08 Repair MDAC MS/JET registering 132 files. I believe that I tried turning off my antivirus while doing this on Saturday and it made no difference. At this point, I have spent most of my weekend trying to resolve this, so I am taking a break until Monday.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 01:15:10 am »
You should have used the download for the latest version in the FileHippo website - that would have given you 4.0.23

Before you do that, you can revert the changes 4.0.22 made by opening the program in Safe Mode with Networking and use the Backup Tools tab to select Restore under Registry Backup.

In the next window click on Restore Registry then use the dropdown to select the back up date that was made when you first ran the repair program, as the program creates a back up each time you run the repairs - then hit Restore Now.

As the program caused these problems, what was the original reason you ran the repair program.

Did the repair install go all the way through before failing or did you get the fail following one of the restarts ?

If the program's registry restore resolves the MSN and Money problems, try the repair install again.

Offline Noddy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 01:09:12 pm »
According to your website, 4.0.23 was the version that caused the problem in the first place and showed v4.0.22 as the fix. It seems that your webmaster needs to get on the ball, and your post did not specify which version to use, so in the absence of any other instructions I went with what was advised on the main page. The reason I downloaded Windows repair was because ever since upgrading from Win 7, I have had issues with backups failing and some other Windows functions not working properly. I had hoped that Windows repair would fix them in light of the good reviews I read about the program. The Win 10 repair install completed installation both times before the "installation failed" message popped up with no error codes. I don't recall any restarts. At the moment I am considering just doing a clean installation of Win 10 on my ssd drive since it's about time for a housecleaning anyway.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 01:24:34 pm »
Have you tried the program's registry restore option ?

Which version did you originally download ?

4.0.22 was released to fix the problems a previous version had caused with Windows Update.

4.0.23 is a newer version than 4.0.22

Because of 4.0.23 no longer appearing on the download page, I pointed you to the FileHippo site to download 4.0.23 should you have been using 4.0.22

Someone else has posted since in another thread as having the same MDAC/MSJet repair hang in 4.0.22

I've ran 4.0.22 and other versions and that repair has never hung for me.

Given what other problems you've had since the Win 10 upgrade and the repair install failing, it sounds like a compatibility issue between your computer and Win 10.

In the advanced boot options there is a Reset option - one that retains your personal stuff and one that would assimilate a clean install where it removes everything.

However, whatever you decide, I would create a system image and a boot disk so that should it not work out, you will be able to restore back to what you have.