Author Topic: ie9 can't download files  (Read 16737 times)

Offline sunlight

• View Profile
ie9 can't download files
« on: December 07, 2012, 02:53:52 am »
hi to all, many moths ago i got a malware. Pc had been disinfected, and everything worked normally. But some months later, harmless virus traces had been detected by antivirus deeper scansion. I got assisted by antivirus support forum, and the virus traces had been deleted definetly. During this disinfection steps, Combofix software made some issues (it didn't work on my machine, impairing many things of my OS - Vista hp 32bit, sp2). I had been suggested to use Tweaking windows repair, and everything on pc went corrected.. the only weird stuff that Tweaking was not able to fix is IE download process; here the synthoms:
1. IE9 start downloading normally, but at 100% of downloading process, it says that it's impossible to download the file.
2. if I run IE9 with administrator rights (or disabling UAC), i can download files normally.
3. Google chrome doesn't have problems at all in downloading.

It seems just a permission issue, i tried to restore permissions using Tweaking, reset IE9, reinstall IE9.. but it didn't work. Before using Combofix, i was able to download normally.

So, is there a way to solve this? Thanks!

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: ie9 can't download files
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 09:43:30 am »
I haven't looked at what Tomas_Sweden posted, but I have an idea off the top of my head.

Since we need IE to have admin rights then the fix can be easy. Here is one way you can do it. I was going to have you do compatibility on it and tell it to use admin rights. But on my system Windows wont give you the option for it. So instead we will use a manifest file.

A manifest file (You will see one with all my programs) can be used to tell Windows that this exe needs admin rights. So I made a manifest file for you (You can view it in notepad)

So just put this file in the same folder as iexplorer.exe

Let me know how it goes :wink:

Shane

Offline sunlight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 03:51:45 am »

Hi thaks for replies. 

Shane, unluckly your file didn't help. I put it into IE folder and run iexplorer exe, but still i wasn't able to download. 

Tomas_Sweden, i already found items 1 and 2 but didn't worked to me. I have questions on procedure about item 3:  it says "For a per-user setting locate...."  or "for a per-computer locate.. ". Need i to locate both? Later it says "add value", but i have several choices as add string, add binary, dword.. which one is correct?

Anyway, today i discovered also Tomtom home software cannot download, as the error reports that it can't move a file.tmp from x to y, "it's impossible to access to the file".... Is it correlated to my issue? Might be a Temp folder's permission?
However, why on Google chrome i can download fine?? what's the difference with IE?

Thanks!!

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 05:01:21 am »
If I look at my Win 7 computer I don't have this entry in the registry, but I do have IE 9.

It should be enought with "per-user setting" HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
but I'm not sure, I haven't had this problem myself.

Before you try this do a backup(export) the registry key of Internet Settings.
In regedit go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings 
Then click on "File" and Export, name the file to what you want and for example save it to the desktop, if anything goes wrong then you just double-click on it.

I think you should add 32-bit DWORD, "value name": BypassSSLNoCacheCheck and "value data": 1 with Base Hexadecimal.

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline sunlight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 05:35:56 am »

Thank yu but it didn't work.

Probably I found an interesting thing that may put light on the issue!

In event viewer, i always get an error on UAC-file virtualization register (ID 2007) that match perfectly with my issues on IE and Tomtom. So how can i resolve it? thanks for assistance!

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 06:20:35 am »
Ok

Maybe this is something?

How do I correct event ID 2007 - Source: Microsoft-Windows-UAC-FileVirtualization?
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/how-do-i-correct-event-id-2007-source-microsoft/5272d474-9e00-4660-a127-1372e9d4d62b

Tomas

Offline sunlight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 08:15:35 am »
Thanks! creating a new user fixed everything!

the only sad thing is now recreate the desktop links, icons, import images in the new images folder..  :undecided:

Offline sunlight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 10:15:54 am »

EDIT. Comparing the old account with the new one, finally i realized what was wrong in authorizations settings among the folders properties.. and very very luckly i was able to revert the settings for the old account..!  So it seems it works fine now.. Thanks for helping and suggestions!!

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 02:18:33 am »
Glad you fixed it!  :cheesy:

Tomas

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 12:28:54 pm »
Good work guys :-)

This will be helpful to others having the same problem :wink:

Shane