Author Topic: Do VSS Copies done for Regristry Backup Accumulate somewhere?  (Read 6194 times)

Offline ralt177

• Wannabe geek for many years, still not there, lol.
    • View Profile
Do VSS Copies done for Regristry Backup Accumulate somewhere?
« on: December 11, 2012, 02:07:38 am »
Hi Shane --

Thanks so much for answering my earlier questions about how to use Registry Backup (in terms of running As Admin, etc.).  I'm very *EXCITED!!* to find an updated replacement for ERUNT  :tongue: !!  I have a couple other questions about the program that I don't see addressed anywhere already, so I figured I may as well just go ahead and ask.  Personally my tendency would be to want to put all the questions in one thread, but I think it can be more helpful to label each question with a separate thread in case the subject is of interest to anyone else, so I guess I'll post a couple new threads.

Part of the reason I like using something like ERUNT or your Registry Backup program is that it helps me keep my System Partition down to a relatively reasonable size, which encourages doing more regular image backups of the partition, as opposed to if I was using System Restore or other built-in MS Utilities, which may tend to bloat the partition and make imaging a more time- and disk-consuming exercise.

Thinking about that consideration of keeping disk space down to a minimum, it occurred to me that if you use VSS to get the registry copies, those VSS "snapshot copies" may be hanging around somewhere and may start to eat up disk space.  Can you tell me if they do start to accumulate somewhere, and if so where, and if there is some way to limit the number of copies of them that hang around or some way to delete them?

I'd just hate to find that the program had a "downside" like that.

Thanks for your time in replying...

Robert...
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen

"Many people know that the ocean contains a drop, but the challenge in this life is to understand that the drop contains the ocean." - Prem Rawat

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Do VSS Copies done for Regristry Backup Accumulate somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:59:41 am »
Windows handles the shadow copies, and here is how you can delete them :-)

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/166102-shadow-copies-delete.html

My program tells VSS to delete the copy it makes after it is done. I use to have the program delete all copies anyways but had some users who said it affected their backup  programs. So now I leave it to VSS :wink:

The fallback backup method in the program back ups witht he Windows API instead of VSS like Erunt.

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
Re: Do VSS Copies done for Regristry Backup Accumulate somewhere?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 11:08:38 pm »
If you are using Win Vista or Win 7 (I dont know about Win 8) you can use "System Restore Explorer" to browse and select individual system restore points and delete them, very useful tool!

http://nicbedford.co.uk/software/systemrestoreexplorer/

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.