Author Topic: Suggestion for "Registry Backup" - Option to choose # of backup copies to keep?  (Read 6439 times)

Offline ralt177

• Wannabe geek for many years, still not there, lol.
    • View Profile
Hi Shane --

I wanted to offer a suggestion for your consideration if you ever get to tinkering with Registry Backup again in the future, which is that you add an option for the user to choose to keep X number of registry backup sets (in addition to the option that is already provided of choosing to keep them for X number of days).

That would be useful for me, and maybe for others, for a couple reasons: one, would eliminate the possibility that you set the program to delete backups older than X days, then when you go off on vacation for X +1 days you come home to find that when you fire your computer up you no longer have any registry backup sets; second reason is that I don't usually schedule registry backups according to date, but rather I do them when I make an important system change, install a program, etc.  I might make three backups in one day, then go a month without making another.  That way I can keep fewer backup "sets" that cover a longer period of time and a wider spread of system changes.  If there was an option where I could tell the program to keep the last x number of backup sets, that would fit in with that scenario really well.

Just something to consider possibly adding, in some of your "free time" (HAR HAR HAR, right??)... 

Actually, I think others might find this useful as well...

Robert....
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen

"Many people know that the ocean contains a drop, but the challenge in this life is to understand that the drop contains the ocean." - Prem Rawat

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Right now it has the number of days, and then an option to tell it to only do 1 backup per day.

The program would still need to look at the dates. What about an option instead that says "Keep a minimum number of backups"

This setting would tell the program when it is cleaning up old backups to leave at least (Lets say 5, the user can change this)

Then when you leave and are gone for a while and come back instead of all of them being deleted a few would be left.

Shane

Offline ralt177

• Wannabe geek for many years, still not there, lol.
    • View Profile
Yesss!  The option to keep a minimum number of backups would be awesome!   :tongue:
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen

"Many people know that the ocean contains a drop, but the challenge in this life is to understand that the drop contains the ocean." - Prem Rawat

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
I will see what I can do :-)

Shane