Author Topic: Network adapter reset issue  (Read 5803 times)

Offline NoWhereMan

• View Profile
Network adapter reset issue
« on: January 18, 2013, 10:42:05 am »
Windows All-In-One Downloads v1.9.5
- portable [one issue so far] .. If network adapter originally was set to a manual IP settings, this program clears the IP settings, but leaves the manual IP [as blank] DNS and WINS setting.

Hence it reboots and sets the network adapter to an auto-IP [169.x.y.x, 255.255.0.0 and blank Gateway]; but keeps the original DNS and WINS settingIP....... This will definately mess up a multi-homed PC, ICS or other such configuration.
You just need to reconfigure the settings.
[The images ~Network-Before-After-Tweaking.com~ are before and after , aka no change]
Regards

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Network adapter reset issue
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 01:12:58 pm »
Here is the what the repair Winsock and Clear DNS does

set path=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

Thats the whole repair, it must be something with the IP reset. Since it is doing a reset it should be clearing any static IP info, but the fact that it is leaving the DNS is odd. (These are commands in Windows it is calling)

One thing I did see is in my Simple Static IP program, it uses WMI to set and clear static IP info. In XP it works great. In Vista and 7 the WMI doesn't clear the DNS. It is a bug in WMI that MS has never fixed.

Wonder if the thing to do is to find another way to clear the static DNS as well and add it to the repair. Perhaps in the registry.

Shane

Offline NoWhereMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 03:26:14 pm »
"we" understand  'work in progress' all to well - grin.
Some playing around yielded thes  "ugly" commands:

C:\Windows\system32>netsh int ip set address name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp
C:\Windows\system32>netsh int ip set dnsserver name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp
C:\Windows\system32>netsh int ip set winsserver name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp

The ugly part is [ [ name="Local Area Connection" ] ]
since if the name of the network adapter in NOT what is in the quotes .. That happens all too often with redetected adapters or renamed for convience like name="Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx", et. al..
Just remembered  if both Hard wired and Wireless adapters are enabled..

Another patr of 'ugly' is that the [ netsh int ip set winsserver name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp
 ] does not reset the NetBios setting to dhcp but leaves it where ever it was .. a.k.a. mine was static and it left the Netbios setting on Enable NetBios over TCP..
Lord Luv a Duck, if IPV6 gets fully implemented..
Regards, and I'll be back.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 03:28:19 pm »
I need to research it, but the info should be stored in the registry. perhaps just deleting those reg keys would clear them as well?

Either that or I make some code that lists the network connections and it makes the commands for each.

Shane
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:30:05 pm by Shane »