Author Topic: pendrive shows 7 gb free space, but i could not copy a 4gb file  (Read 12201 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi,
               I tried to copy a 4 g. b file in to a 16 g.b, which has 8 g.b used storage. But it shows the disk is full please insert a new diskette. I could not copy a lesser size file to a known free storage. Why and how to rectify it.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: pendrive shows 7 gb free space, but i could not copy a 4gb file
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 01:49:33 pm »
What does the properties of the drive show for total usage?

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 10:18:24 pm »
Hi, Shane

the remaining 7 g.b. I also wish to inform that i have enabled show all hidden files including operating system files in the folder option. I could not format also, as it shows that disk could not be formated either, as it is used by the device.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 05:44:33 am »
Hi, I found the solution after few hours of suring for the solution if any. I could not format also as it shows that the disk is used by some process which i could not find. Then i found one answer in yahoo forum and formated with the following syntax. format J: /FS:FAT32 /X. This is the command i used to format the pendrive, as there was some clash in formats. pendrive having fat32 and my file having ntfs format having more than 4 gb , which is a flv file.
                     I formated but could not copy this flv file, which shows the disk as full. Then a message suddenly pop up confirm stream loss. the loss could be the summery information. etc.I said yes but to no solution.After that i went to device manager, disk drives, select the usb drive and then went to properties, policies and selected optimum performance tab. Then , I double clicked my computer, went to the pen drive, and then select format, by which i got the choices menu in the format tab. fat or ntfs. I did select the ntfs and wow it worked and i could copy the flv file in the same format to the pen drive. Thank you very much for getting some problem myself and finding solutions, .
                     The essence of the matter is that some files show file size less than what it actually has.If it contains the other information which is not supported by the pendrive then this problem crops up. So, the content is also important. If it is a mere data file, then there would not have been any problem.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 01:51:53 pm »
Yeah fat32 has a 4GB file size limit. If you have a file bigger than 4 gb it cant go on a fat32 drive. I have all my drives NTFS :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

Shane
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:53:55 pm by Shane »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 04:28:39 am »
Hi, Shane , Thank you very much.Then why latest pendrives have also a default fat32 system, which is having limitation of 4 g. b etc. I also noticed, that when copying the larger files to ntfs formatted drive, the actual file size as shown in the properties are shown in the pen drive . Thank you very much.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 03:34:45 pm »
fat32 is faster. So to make the pen drive look like it is faster than what it really is they will format it in fat32 :wink:

Fat32 is faster because it has no file security and a lot of other features that NTFS does.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938440.aspx

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 08:32:03 pm »
Hi, Useful reply. But for the files having more than 4 g. b one has to change the file system to ntfs.
Thank you for your useful tips always