Author Topic: Written dvd dl 8.5 gb shows nil data where it has gone  (Read 11125 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Written dvd dl 8.5 gb shows nil data where it has gone
« on: March 23, 2013, 01:37:46 am »
Hi, I have written a 4 g . b files to a 8.5 dvd r double layer, which in the process of writing the data has caused the following error.
VFW_E_NO_CAPTURE_HARDWARE
0x80040275
No capture hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding.
  But when i try to see what it has written, it shows a blank one and gives total usage and used space as 0 bytes. I could not format it also. Where has the data gone. But i know that it has written something and then the error occurs. Would you help me how to fix this error. If suppose i want to use this data, could i ?
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Written dvd dl 8.5 gb shows nil data where it has gone
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 05:30:56 pm »
That error means the dvd burner stopped responding. It normally is a hard ware problem or a problem with the burner software your using.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:20:01 pm »
Hi,  Why then it shows o bytes used and o bytes as total space. Is it more than meets the eye, sir,
Please let me know how to rectify.Should i change the dvd drive itself.
How to correct these errors? I have used cdburner xp software. While browsing with explorer, it shows totally 0 bytes available.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:29:41 pm »
If a disk doesnt finish burning properly you cant get any data off of it as the file system was never finished on it.

Only thing you can do is throw it away and try another disk.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 08:17:12 pm »
Hi, Shane sir,

I understand the reply. But to me the problem is related to the file format that the 8.5 dvd r have. It shows as raw in windows xp explorer , but on deep analysis by the cd roller, a program which tests the dvd drive, the format of the disc is in udf 1.20 version. On analyzing still further, in the net, came to know that windows xp will not even show this format in the explorer. I could see the written files in the disc, but what still surprised me is that it shows as if it has written the files completely without any break.
          But as you say , that it could not be formatted and to be thrown out, can i have your idea whether this disc  in blank or not formatted stage or a new disc could be formatted with ntfs file type.
           Is there any program to convert the udf format to ntfs in a new dvd which is having udf format 1.2. I have learnt that udf is universal disk format.
          q1. Whether a new not formatted disk could be formatted to other file type formats?
           Q2. is there a program to do this without loss of space in the disc, say 8.5 g.b to not less than 8.4 g. b.
            Please do not mind my english. It may be poor. But what i want  is so many persons would be having this problem but throwing away discs .
            Still i am having problem with dvd drive . Normal dvd 4.7 g.b also shown as 0bytes.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:56:10 pm »
udf is the format of cd and dvds. When the burn isnt good the cd just shows as raw.

If the dvd didnt burn right you cant do anything about that disk.

If you keep having trouble with multiple disks then your burner may be bad. A new dvd burner only costs $20 now.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 07:10:56 pm »
Hi, Thank you Shane, to know that the dvd will read 0 bytes, if it is not burning well. Is dvd burner is in the software or hardware.? I have checked and had the drive problem somewhat fixed by a fixit microsoft. If i could not burn the cd, there is no other way but to buy the dvd writer.But it is burning with the trial nero burner dvd rom.

Is it a fact that all dvd supports udf format . But i learnt that the windows xp does not even recognise the udf disc..
        What is the normal format of the dvd 4.7 g. b.
        By getting answers from you, i am improving in the area where i do not know anything. I normally simply insert the cd or dvd and let it burn. But when i come across problems, i could not use the burnt dvd r whether be it single and dual layer. I tried imgburn, a free ware to burn a total flv file of 8.2 to a 8.5 g.b, but it has asked me to correct the settings, firstly change the udf+9660 to udf  in the OPtion taband also enable the allow excess file size to be written in ISO 9660 in the Advanced tab. But when i enable burning there was some servo failure message which i have addressed to imgburn support.
        I also learnt about the bluray dvd which could save up to 25 g.bs. if i am correct, in one instance. Even settings changes in the image burns did not work to my satisfaction. It gives ioh sound when it fails on something. But DVD drive is now perfect , i suppose. As always expecting reply from you

When i inserted a blank dvd , and on verifying the properties, it shows zero bytes and RAW as it file system.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:24:44 pm by jraju »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 11:24:27 pm »
Hi,   The reply from imgburn has solved my problem. The imgburn has advised to update the lg driver from 11 to 13. i did. Then it has advised me to adjust the speed from the normal 6x to 2x, which also i changed.Then there was no problem and the write is successful. I already changed the file sytem to udf and enabled excess limit in their menu.
         Thank you for sharing what you know, always to all

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 06:41:43 pm »
Glad you got it working :-)

Shane