Main Forum > Tweaking.com Support & Help

Improvements for WindowsRepair

(1/8) > >>

Willy2:
1. Perhaps you could lock the moving arrow as soon as the user hits "Start"" and unlock the moving arrow as soon as the program has finished its repair jobs ?
2. I selected Basic Mode and hit ""Start"". Then as WR started working then a number of what I would call MS-DOS windows (cmd.exe) opened. After having finished these windows also closed again. Is this supposed to happen ? Is this normal ?
3. IE 8 was running when I ran WR (Basic mode). After I finished WR, suddenly at the top of the screen a message appeared that asked/recommended that I should set the, what I would call the internet security level back to normal (average ?). It seems that WR resets the security level down to the lowest level possible. Perhaps WR could remember the previous security level and restore it back to that level. Or did I do something wrong because I didn't restart my laptop inmediately ?

Perhaps these remarks could lead to an improved WR v1.4.x or WR v1.5.0 ? No need to rush it with a new version.

I use XP SP 3 with all the latest updates.

Shane:

--- Quote ---1. Perhaps you could lock the moving arrow as soon as the user hits "Start"" and unlock the moving arrow as soon as the program has finished its repair jobs ?
--- End quote ---
I could do 2 arrows. One showing the current repair that is going and the 2nd showing what you mouse over.

--- Quote ---2. I selected Basic Mode and hit ""Start"". Then as WR started working then a number of what I would call MS-DOS windows (cmd.exe) opened. After having finished these windows also closed again. Is this supposed to happen ? Is this normal ?
--- End quote ---
I did this on purpose. My program mimics repairs and does a lot of them through a command window, I want people to be able to see the progress of the repair :-)

--- Quote ---3. IE 8 was running when I ran WR (Basic mode). After I finished WR, suddenly at the top of the screen a message appeared that asked/recommended that I should set the, what I would call the internet security level back to normal (average ?). It seems that WR resets the security level down to the lowest level possible. Perhaps WR could remember the previous security level and restore it back to that level. Or did I do something wrong because I didn't restart my laptop inmediately ?
--- End quote ---

The Fix sidebar repair removes the zone settings in the registry, which will put the IE security back to default. I was going to remove this, but found that if a person has their security messed up then this is a good fix for it.

--- Quote ---Perhaps these remarks could lead to an improved WR v1.4.x or WR v1.5.0 ? No need to rush it with a new version.
--- End quote ---
Already working on v1.4.1. Adding more fixes and such. Expect a LOT of updates with this program.

Just as I posted here :-)
http://www.softpedia.com/progViewOpinions/Tweaking-com-Windows-Repair-195211,.html

Shane

Willy2:
1. about those MS-DOS (cmd.exe) windows and those ""secret formulas"" : I personally wouldn't mind if that remained ""below the radar"". Or is this meant to see where problems occur ? (Does cmd.exe report such errors ? Doesn't cmd.exe close the window automatically when an error occurs ?) If so, then perhaps it's a good idea to let WR generate a logfile everytime WR runs. Windows is a VERY complicated system and then perhaps a logfile would help you to see where things go ""off the rails"". What do other users think ?

2. Would you appreciate it when I put out an message on the Piriform forum that you would like to have more testers for WR ? Do you like to have more test users ? Or do you get already enough responses/feed back ? I use XP and my opinion is therefore not too relevant. Better to have more Vista and Win7 users/testers, wouldn't you think so ?

3. About the ""sidebar"" thing: is this something I can find in XP ? Or is this something related to Vista or Win7 ? (as metioned above I still use XP). If it's not included in XP then perhaps you could make it platform dependent or is that too much work ? I never had that ""internet security"" warning before. I thought an virus or something else had penetrated my firewall.

Shane:

--- Quote ---1. about those MS-DOS (cmd.exe) windows and those ""secret formulas"" : I personally wouldn't mind if that remained ""below the radar"". Or is this meant to see where problems occur ? (Does cmd.exe report such errors ? Doesn't cmd.exe close the window automatically when an error occurs ?) If so, then perhaps it's a good idea to let WR generate a logfile everytime WR runs. Windows is a VERY complicated system and then perhaps a logfile would help you to see where things go ""off the rails"". What do other users think ?
--- End quote ---

Not a lot of ways to record any errors, plus I like having the windows show for multiple reasons.
1. Users can see whats going on, and so can I.
2. People can report errors if they see any.
3. People will know the program isnt locked up and how far a repair is (The permissions repair is a good example.

--- Quote ---2. Would you appreciate it when I put out an message on the Piriform forum that you would like to have more testers for WR ? Do you like to have more test users ? Or do you get already enough responses/feed back ? I use XP and my opinion is therefore not too relevant. Better to have more Vista and Win7 users/testers, wouldn't you think so ?
--- End quote ---

The more the better. I want this app to grow into something great. And I can only do that with the help of others.
I have a plan for this program. The point of the program is to help those people out there who can't afford to have their computers fixed. And to help make some repairs even simpler for my fellow techs :-)

--- Quote ---3. About the ""sidebar"" thing: is this something I can find in XP ? Or is this something related to Vista or Win7 ? (as metioned above I still use XP). If it's not included in XP then perhaps you could make it platform dependent or is that too much work ? I never had that ""internet security"" warning before. I thought an virus or something else had penetrated my firewall.
--- End quote ---

I am going to remove the reg key being deleted. If a person needs the security reset that can do that in internet options. better not to mess with it. v1.4.1 will be out on monday :-)

Shane

Willy2:
I think I have an better suggestion for the moving arrow.

As long as the user hasn't WR put to work then the arrow and the explanation text (on the right hand top of the repair window) could move in sync. But as soon as the user has hit ""Start"" then WR could move the arrow only as the repairs progress and leave the explanation text untouched/unchanged.

Sorry for the late suggestion. I didn't know you were this far with version v1.4.1. Wanted to let you know anyway. Had a good night's sleep and then this popped up. Perhaps something for v1.4.2 ??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version