Author Topic: SOLVED Reparse errors and updates also  (Read 10658 times)

Offline Mwcats

• View Profile
SOLVED Reparse errors and updates also
« on: March 26, 2015, 02:18:15 pm »
Hi Shane!

I am also having issues with reparse errors and installing some windows updates.  I have an HP Pavilion s5514y and am running Windows 7 version 6.1.7601.  It's an older machine given to me (free!) and I only plan on using it as a backup - and because it has a 23 inch monitor - I play those Hidden Object games and can actually see them!  I have been working with a wonderful lady at Major Geeks on the updates but we just keep hitting a brick wall.  I think we have tried everything.  Like the other posters on the forum I am hoping clearing the reparse points will help, or you might have other advice. I have run the newest version of your Windows Repair All-In-One and it did repair the environmental paths that were found, shows two reparse points to be fixed (but they keep popping up on every scan) and 63 reparse errors under other.  Those don't seem to have any option to fix.

First here are the updates that won't install: KB2862330 from Sept 2013, 2862335 and 2868038 from Oct 2013, 2887069 from Dec 2013, 2853952 from Jan 2014, and 2908783 from Apr 2014.  We decided  to just hide them for now and hope, but we both agree they should be installed if at all possible.

I have also attached the error scan from your program.  Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:47:42 pm by Mwcats »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Reparse errors and updates also
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 02:38:45 pm »
OK so the log shows just these 2

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Start Menu) (Original Path: C:\ProgramData\Start Menu) (Target Path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu) (Creation Time: 3/24/2015 1:57:02 PM)
Target Path doesn't exist!

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Templates) (Original Path: C:\ProgramData\Templates) (Target Path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates) (Creation Time: 3/24/2015 1:57:02 PM)
Target Path doesn't exist!

Which the odd thing is my repair rephrase points in 3.1.0 should have fixed those. The fix for those is to simply go and make the target folder. So I am curious to why it wasnt able to create them. Perhaps a permissions problem? If so maybe I just need to add a command to report if it runs to any problems so we can know for sure.

As for the updates not installing, since no package files where missing the problem isnt there. The cbs.log file will give us more information of why they didnt install. And a lot of times the windows system readiness tool can help fix the problem because sometimes another older update needs to be installed first. So it would be wroth trying it if you haveint.

Here is the link if you need it :-)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

Shane

Offline Mwcats

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:00:03 pm »
Thanks for replying so quickly Shane!

The two folders showing as JUNCTION errors are already there.  The Start Menu one has a shortcut icon on it, and the Templates has a lock on it.  Earlier they both had a shortcut icon but I re-ran Windows Repair AIO today and that's when things changed.  It also seemed to wipe out all my restore points so I couldn't go back!  And what about the other 63 reparse errors?  Can they be fixed or would it be a long drawn out process and too much for a relative newbie?  Do they even matter?

As far as the Update Readiness tool...tried that, didn't work.  I also cleaned my system just a day or two ago and am unable to access any failed update information, but the CBS log shows one error (80070490) for the Dec 2013 update I guess I tried to install again after cleaning.  All updates since have installed without any problem.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 06:43:06 pm »
So you checked to make sure the folders at
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
and
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates

where there? Or did you check C:\ProgramData\Start Menu and C:\ProgramData\Templates?

And what about the other 63 reparse errors?

Those are not errors, look at the tab text, it says Extra: All Found Repharse Points.
That is just a list of all that are on the system :-)

It also seemed to wipe out all my restore points so I couldn't go back!

The program didnt wipe those, for some reason windows does when the vss is restarted. I havent been able to find out why windows does that because it doesnt do it every time.

As far as the Update Readiness tool...tried that, didn't work.  I also cleaned my system just a day or two ago and am unable to access any failed update information, but the CBS log shows one error (80070490) for the Dec 2013 update I guess I tried to install again after cleaning.  All updates since have installed without any problem.

Ok so do this, try the update again and then compress and post the cbs.log file in the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS (There is a 4mb max file size you can post) and let me see what it says :-)

Shane

Offline Mwcats

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 06:58:31 am »
Good morning Shane!

I did check the wrong path on the two reparse errors.  But have now checked the correct path and both folders are right where they should be.  No icons on either.  The icons show on the C:Users folders with the same names.  But when I run the pre-scan they keep showing up as needing to be fixed.  After fixing and re-scanning...there they are again.

As for the other 63 reparse points....oh :confused: my mistake.  I thought they were errors.  Sorry.

I also ran the Update Readiness Tool again and tried to download KB2853952 from Sept 2013.  It is the earliest update that isn't installing.  I have attached the log.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 03:40:38 pm »
I am finding Failed to internally open package. [HRESULT = 0x800f0805 - CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE]

When you ran my Windows Repair did you make sure to run all the repairs in the list?

Shane

Offline Mwcats

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 04:49:26 pm »
I don't think so...some were for Windows 8 I think so left them unchecked.  Will do it though.  Then will try the update again and post the new CBS log.

Offline Mwcats

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 06:28:28 pm »
Ok...unplugged for 30 minutes, started in safe mode with networking, and ran the repair tool with all repairs selected.  Then downloaded, installed KB2853952 (Sept 2013) again.  Failure to configure.  Have attached new CBS log.

Have a great weekend!

Offline Mwcats

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 12:29:15 am »
Shane, I had a feeling you might want me to run chkdsk /f /r and a new sfc /scannow so I did today just in case.  Got a bit of a surprise.  Have run both these scans numerous times, but today saw errors for the first time.  I have attached an image of what I captured on screen because when I went to the Event Viewer to copy log, it wasn't working (is set to start automatically).  Huh.  So just FYI I am attaching the two screen captures plus the new CBS log in case you want to see.  If not, just disregard.  I do not what to think of this machine.  I can surf fine, play games fine, and pretty much do everything fine and so I don't understand what the problems are!!!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 12:06:31 pm »
The event viewer picture was sized down for some reason so it was to small to read.

As for the sfc finding file and correcting them, that is good that it fixed them, but bad that it had to fix anything lol

Not to mention it is only this one update that wont install, while the others are installing.

I do have an idea that might work, it worked on a machine I was working on where IE 11 simply wouldnt install. So in the packages files that my pre scan checks, well the files in that folder are listed in the registry. This is how updates know to look for previous updates for it.

Well on that system I simply removed the files IE 11 was looking at from the registry so it wouldnt look at those files and it then installed just fine. I dont know how this will do with other updates since I havent had a chance to dig into it more, but it is something we could try :-)

Shane

Offline Mwcats

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 12:59:33 pm »
Sorry about the picture.  I resized it to save space uploading but now I am attaching the big one!!

Not sure if you are asking me to do something or not.  And I have 6 updates that won't install...just started with the earliest.

Maybe this machine isn't worth all this trouble.  I would do a clean install but I don't have installation disks and the computer says it doesn't have a recovery partition, I can only use disks.  Around and around.  Not to mention 6 years worth of updates plus the fact I have never done one! I am also on a fixed income and computer software is a luxury way down on the priority list.  So I just don't know what to do.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 01:03:37 pm »
Well it wouldnt hut to try it, as long as we backup that registry key before we remove anything out of it, then we can import them back in if we need to :-)

If you think you can do it yourself i can give you the registry location and such, or if you want I could connect to you and do it myself.

I am in front of my computer right now working on a new update so I have a little time.

If you are up for it and want me to teamviewer in then now is the time. Shoot me an email to shane at tweaking :-)

Shane

Offline Mwcats

• View Profile
SOLVED Reparse errors and updates also
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 04:46:32 pm »
Shane...you are so AWESOME!!!

Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart!  Everything has updated and is running like a dream.  I think it must have been the Taco Bell....(I still don't get it).  :confused:

You take good care, know you are doing a wonderful thing and have truly blessed others, and thank you again for helping me out!