Author Topic: Using 2 Seperate Phone Lines on a Single PCI-E Modem  (Read 6969 times)

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
Using 2 Seperate Phone Lines on a Single PCI-E Modem
« on: April 10, 2015, 09:01:40 am »
I recently bought a "PCIe Soft Data Fax SoftRing Modem with SmartCP", and attempted to hook it up to both my fax machine and my landline (which are using two separate phone lines), and now, when I can't receive calls, and when I place them, the two phone lines become one (the caller ID shows up as my fax number, however both lines are being used, simultaneously).   Just to get confusion out of the picture, let me describe this portion of my setup in detail: I have "Line 1" (my landline) split between the modem and the phone itself, and "Line 2" (the fax) split between the fax machine and the modem.  So, yes, I have two separate phone lines going into a single modem, and would like a solution on how to get it to work without having to buy more hardware (additional software welcome).  Any suggestions?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Using 2 Seperate Phone Lines on a Single PCI-E Modem
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 01:10:36 pm »
The modem normally doesnt support more than 1 phone line.

It will have 2 jacks in the back up of, one for the main phone line itself and then the 2nd jack is to continue the phone line from it, so say you plug your phone or something into it.

I have "Line 1" (my landline) split between the modem and the phone itself

Normally, no this isn what to do. Just have the phone line plugged into the phone since it isnt for fax anyways.

and "Line 2" (the fax) split between the fax machine and the modem.

Then normally the fax phone line should be just plugged right into the fax modem, but you also said fax machine, are you trying to use the both of them on the one fax line?

Shane

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 01:54:13 pm »
When referring to "Line 1" and "Line 2", I was referring to the phone lines on my CABLE modem (not the modem in question).  I have both the voice and the fax lines running to the modem and their respective devices (I had the fax plugged into the "LINE" port and the voice line plugged into the "PHONE" port).  Everything was working fine until I plugged the voice line into the PCI modem (the modem in question), then everything went crazy. So I just ended up unplugging the voice line ("Line 1" from my cable modem) from the "PHONE" port on my PCI modem, and now everything is working again.  However, I would like to know, is there a PCI x1 modem out there that can handle 2 separate phone lines (one voice and one fax)?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 02:09:52 pm »
Ah, that all makes much better sense, sometimes it is hard to picture what a person is talking about without seeing it :-)

I dont use any fax modem now adays so I dont have any models off the top of my head.

Shane