Author Topic: Safe Mode with Network in Windows 10  (Read 5808 times)

Offline coover

• View Profile
Safe Mode with Network in Windows 10
« on: August 17, 2015, 04:22:49 PM »
When you select to boot into the Safe Mode in Windows 10, the All-in-one Repair does not offer to boot into Safe Mode with Networking. You need to add this option

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: Safe Mode with Network in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 04:52:02 PM »

Offline coover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 06:22:13 PM »
Whoops ... I just used Repair all-in-one to go to safe mode and all I get is a black screen. I attempt hard boot and it still boots to black screen. What do I do now?

Offline coover

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »
I received no answer here and could find no answer eleswhere, so I wiped the drive and reinstalled Windows 10 from an .iso I got at a pirate site. Thankfully, I had a great backup and lost nothing except the time to reinstall the OS and other programs. The reinstall went well, and surprise, surprise, the OS activated immediately (the pirate copy was not pre-activated, so MS recognized that a legitimate copy of the OS has already been installed on this computer).

Still, I wonder what it was about booting to the safe mode could have caused this problem. Any ideas or guesses?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 12:43:13 PM »
The safe mode command is nothing more than a command to tell the boot manager to boot into safe mode.

There shouldn't have been a blank screen unless something was wrong with safe mode in windows. But if there was a different boot manager on the system or something else not set normally it could have been trying to boot incorrectly.
Out of the hundreds of times I have used the safe mode command I have never had a blank screen before. So thats why I wonder if something was different, if it was a pirated copy before hand I wonder if the activation hack that was used had changed the boot loader.

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline coover

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 03:34:07 PM »
No, what I had on the hard drive before the black screen problem was a legitimate Windows 10, downloaded through the use of Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. I had nothing illegal on the drive. The only reason I used the pirate copy to reinstall was because I found no other real copies available on the internet, and I knew that the Pirate copies from a certain individual (Murphy78) are clean. He may be a dishonest pirate, but his software is very, very good, and clean of all viruses and malware. That said, he does add a way to illegally activate his software, but I did not use it. It activated because MS recognized the computer as previously being activated for Windows 10.

And for anyone that reads this, Pirate copies of software can be very dangerous and frequently carry viruses and/or malware. Doing as I did without considering the consequences can be extremely harmful to your computer or computers, if you are on a network. I only did so because I had no other viable choice at the time. Microsoft needs to publish on the internet the Windows 10 Operating System so that people like me that need to reinstall can do so safely.   

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
Microsoft needs to publish on the internet the Windows 10 Operating System so that people like me that need to reinstall can do so safely.   

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO   :wink:

Offline coover

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
That link is for the Media Creation Tool. You can download it on a working computer with an operating system, but to use it, it must be placed somewhere on the computer you are updating or installing to. My computer was not working in any manner in which to do this. I had a black screen only. I needed to download an .iso in which to boot the computer with a USB flash drive or a DVD disk.

Oh, wait a moment ... I see your point. I could have used this tool to create a USB Boot Drive (using Rufus) or a DVD Boot Disk (using Img Burn) on another computer (I have 7). Ok, it's too late now as I have a very nice Windows 10 installation from the pirated file, but I will keep in mind the Media Creation Tool in the future. I've got copies of both the 64 and 32 bit versions as I've kept busy updating neighbors computers to Windows 10. So far, I've installed it on about 15 computers in my Senior Citizen Community and I always recommend your All-in-one repair tool to them and have actually installed it on several.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 12:48:54 AM »
Sorry I dont have an answer for the blank screen going into safe mode, never had that happen. Let me know if you have any problems at all and I will dig in and find out whats going on :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline coover

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 12:13:44 AM »
Thanks, Shane. I've not seen that problem before and I hope to never see it again. As mentioned above, the computer with the problem has had it's hard drive wiped and Windows 10 successfully installed and activated. Most of the ancillary software has also been reinstalled and the computer is running better than it has for a quite a while.

Yes, the problem took a few hours to solve, but keeping good backups helps immensely. While I didn't have a cloned drive sitting around and I actually had to reinstall everything, I think the reinstall solved myriad problems as I am no longer seeing little niggling error messages that have been occurring occasionally, particularly with Internet Explorer (which I no longer use frequently - I don't like Chrome, either, or Firefox, so now I am using a Chrome based browser, Slim-Jet). 

anything