Author Topic: Diagnostic Policy Service Disabled after running repairs  (Read 4985 times)

Offline lionel15

• View Profile
Diagnostic Policy Service Disabled after running repairs
« on: November 09, 2015, 08:00:52 AM »
Diagnostic Policy Service Disabled after running repairs has happened twice to me which among other things stops me from connecting to the internet.

I have discovered a solution:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/windows-8-cant-connect-to-internet-the-diagnostics/8faab776-38a9-4a96-92f7-8c64ea3da128?auth=1

Windows + W

type services

view local services

check below services are started

Diagnostic policy
Diagnostic service
Diagnostic system host

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Diagnostic Policy Service Disabled after running repairs
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 09:21:23 PM »
The Diagnostic Policy Service doesn't effect if you get on the internet or not. in fact I have it disabled on every single machine i have and have no trouble. It is only used if you try to have windows diagnose something.

BUT that doesnt mean that it cant happen, this is Windows after all lol. Such as a driver or something may require it. It normally doesnt.

But I dont think I have the repairs set to disable them at all. You can check the services_startup txt file for you verion of windows in the files folder of the program and see what i have it set to :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline lionel15

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 06:57:55 AM »
I don't know why this happened, but it has happened more than once and I have found a simple fix. Maybe it's pure coincidence that I couldn't get back on the internet after restarting in normal mode after coming out of safe mode with networking and when I tried to troubleshoot problems the troubleshooter wouldn't work until I turned the Diagnostic Policy Service on again. It's no big deal as I can fix the problem easily.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 08:42:06 AM »
Give it another try and before you restart the DPS, go into Event Viewer to see if there's anything related recorded for the date and time stamp.

Are you using Win 8.0 or 8.1 and which AV program are you using ?

Offline lionel15

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 09:05:07 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

I'm using Windows 8 (I can't update to 8.1 and that is part of the subject of my other current thread - Repair Windows Updates)

I'm using Malwarebytes professional and Norton as AV

How do I find event viewer, please?

I must admit that I know how to work my computer, but how it works is a complete mystery to me!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 09:25:37 AM »
I think it will be similar to Win 7 (as I am) - in the Start window type eventvwr.msc and you should eventvwr pop up where you just press enter or click on it..

When it has read the data, click on Errors and then on Show All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane.

It could be a DHCP error but the corresponding time stamps are the ones to look for.

If you see any you think will apply, click on them and more info will appear in the lower pane and there is a blue online help link that may give more info and a possible solution.

You can also copy and paste any of the errors into the reply box by clicking on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane then right click and Paste in the reply box.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 03:41:50 PM »
Just checking to see how you are getting on and was hoping to have seen a reply by now.

Internet connectivity issues when the DPS is stopped would appear to be a common problem in Win 8.0 and depending upon what Event Viewer is reporting, where Norton is installed, it can be naughty when it comes to allowing connectivity.

When you lose connectivity and prior to starting DPS, right click on the WiFi icon in the system tray and start the trouble shooter and that may report what it considers it to be the problem.

I use Norton 360 and when I feel that is getting buggy I use Norton's Remove and Reinstall tool which downloads the latest version then removes the older version prior to the reinstall.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

While it will auto activate, it's best to do the manual check for updates until it tells you there are no more.

I don't know which Norton you are running but Norton issued an updated version so that it was compatible with Win 10 as well.

To check if you have the latest version, click on the Help button and then on New version check, but using Remove and Reinstall will give you the latest version.