Author Topic: Layout of Windows AIO Repair  (Read 2078 times)

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
Layout of Windows AIO Repair
« on: November 11, 2015, 12:04:57 PM »
Hello Shane,
I have been using your tool now for just about a year now, and I have to say, you develop some of the best, most useful software I have ever used.  I bought both Windows AIO repair and Technician toolkit just so I could use them for my job (IT support Engineer).  I did have a suggestion as to how you might improve Windows AIO repair, if you are interested in my opinion.  Have you ever heard of/looked at Ultimate Virus Killer (aka UVK)?  It is a multi-purpose tool that tries to do what yours does, plus remove whatever malware caused the damage.  I say"tries" because the times that I have used it, it more often than not does more harm than good, but I digress.  However, I will commend UVK how they designed the "windows repair" menu.  This is where I think your software could use improvement: why have the 5 extra tabs prior to the actual repair screen and make each tab include a troubleshooting/fix step when it can be incorporated into the list of fixes and can be executed like a task sequence, similar to how uvk operates (for example, place the reparse point scan, chkdsk, and sfc scan as the first three steps, and if the chkdsk scan finds an error, you can either set the program to automatically restart and perform the boot-time chkdsk repair or prompt the user, then reboot back into safe after the chkdsk scan and continue on to the sfc scan).  I can understand that you want the beginners to have instructions so that they don't potentially mess up their computer, so keep the information displayed on their respective tabs, but make only the "backup" tab, the "repair" tab, the "pro features" tab, and the "settings" tab the main tabs with the main controls.  This is literally the only thing I can think of to make your awesome software more awesome.  If you can make this vision a reality, your tool would literally be the standard, the "holy grail" of windows repair and recovery.

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
Re: Layout of Windows AIO Repair
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 12:16:06 PM »
Oh.. I forgot one more suggestion.  Another cool aspect that UVK incorporates into their "task sequences" are the download and unattended installation of the latest version of widely used software, such as Microsoft's .NET 3.5, 4.52, and 4.6 Frameworks, Microsoft's Visual C++ runtimes versions 2005-2015 both x86 and x64, Microsoft silverlight, adobe flash player, etc.).  If you could do that in your task sequences as well, that would be so useful!!  If you were to seriously consider this for a future version of Windows AIO Repair, allow me to make one final suggestion and suggest you utilize this service: https://chocolatey.org/
With just a few lines of powershell code, you have an entire software repository from which you can download and silently install software, with only a single line of code per download/install.  I have even incorporated this service into the operating system deployments used at my job as part of the deployment task sequence. 

anything