Author Topic: Free Windows ISOs still available (Win 7, 8.1 & 10)  (Read 6226 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 12:52:50 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Free Windows ISOs still available (Win 7, 8.1 & 10)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 04:38:56 AM »
A very useful article, Willy and certainly worthy of Karma, but I no longer have the Applaud button in my profile.

Since MS had the Win 7 ISOs pulled from Digital River in February, I'm not even sure you can still get an official download with a retail key from MS.

Fortunately, I downloaded Win 7 x64 and 32 bit ISOs from Digital River before they put the block on them and when you remove the eicfg file, they become universal ISOs for whichever architecture, covering from Starter to Ultimate.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 01:56:02 PM »
I've got my Applaud and Smite buttons back so I can now give you a Karma for a very useful post.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 02:47:21 PM »
Questions:
- Is this legitmate way to obtain the ISO ? I fear it isn't.
- Can you provide some links to the issue of the "eicfg" file ? I am very interested.

- I know that when one has bought a Windows CD/DVD with a valid license key, one is still able to get a legitimate copy (e.g. Win 7) from Microsoft. If Windows already has been installed on one's computer when one had bought the computer then one has to rely on other (shady ??) sources.
- Cool !!! An increase of my Karma to 9.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 03:04:13 PM »
It probably isn't legit given that MS didn't want anyone to download anymore Win 7 ISOs except with a valid retail key from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 but if it does the job for repair purposes for those who don't have a Win 7 install disk....

Whether this was to stop illegal use of it to run Win 7 or whether MS were just being mean, I don't know.

You can download the eicfg removal tool using the link from http://code.kliu.org/misc/winisoutils/ and when you extract it in your Downloads folder, you can run it from there and just point it to the ISO and then you can use Windows USB/DVD Burner Tool to create the bootable media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 12:00:53 AM »
- I meant: If one has bought a separate DVD/CD with e.g. Win 7 then one still can get a FREE copy of that OS. Otherwise one has to use all kind of tricks to get a new free copy. Unless, of course, one is willing to pay for a retail copy. (on DVD).

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 03:21:28 AM »
I was under the impression from your post that link would give you those ISOs without the need for any product keys.

I can't check it out because I already have ISOs for Win 7 32 and 64 bit stored on this laptop.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 07:04:50 AM »
- No, I didn't say that at all.
- When one uses another official website/page of Microsoft to (legally) download a new copy of the ISO then the test for a Retail version will occur before downloading. It - at least- happened when I tried to download a copy of Win 7.
- I downloaded the Win 10 ISO using the info provided above and there wasn't a "Retail version test".

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 07:57:10 AM »
- When one uses this website ("en-us" indicates it's a website for the US) then MS will check the license key (Retail or OEM).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

but the link provided above doesn't check the license key.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:00:37 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 08:13:08 AM »
Your last link won't even offer you the ISO if it doesn't accept your key as a valid retail key, which you have to enter first.

It doesn't accept COA sticker or vendor generic product keys that the likes of Belarc Advisor or Magic Jellybean displays as the product key.

Been there :)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 04:12:26 PM »
- Agree. I typed in my license key and the website refused me to download the ISO. Don't worry, I still have an ISO installed on a USB stick.
- There's a tool for downloading those free ISOs from the MS Techbench website. Requires .NET software to be installed. (Didn't test it yet).

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/05/22/windows-iso-downloader/
https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

I fear that when MS finds out that this tool generates A LOT OF download traffic, it will shut down this loophole.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:20:18 PM by Willy2 »