Author Topic: Is it Safe to fix Reparse Points of moved virtual folders? (Win 10 Pro/Ent x64)  (Read 5649 times)

Offline RiteBrain

• View Profile
After performing the Pre-Scan in Windows Repair v3.8.4 (pro Version), I had a number of "Missing default reparse point ..." errors.  I've been relocating several of the special virtual folders, i.e., Documents, Pictures, Downloads, Desktop, etc. since Windows 7 using the "Move" feature in the "Location" tab of the folder's properties.  The reparse errors in the pre-scan log file list many, but not all of the folders I have relocated.  By the way,  I relocate these folders to other drives to better protect my data and make it easier to restore a crashed system.

My question/concern is this:  I'm afraid that if I elect to have these reparse points fixed, the locations of the virtual/special folders will revert to their original "factory" locations.  For instance, the 'Documents' folder is now located at 'H:\Documents'.  The original 'factory' location was 'C:\Users\<username>\Documents'.  Will fixing the missing reparse point move the location of the 'Documents' folder back to the 'C:\Users\<username>\Documents' location?  I have attached a text of the all the reparse point errors I received.

Also, the many of the virtual / special folder names have been changed.  The 'Documents' folder used to be called 'My Documents'.  Many of the reparse errors show the original folder location as that with the old folder name (Ex: C:\Users\<username>\My Documents) and the target folder name (Ex: C:\Users\<username>\Documents).  I mention this because this seems like an "interim" link to accommodate Microsoft's change folder names.  It looks like many of these errors are missing the default reparse point.  I'm concerned that fixing these may also break the chain from the original location of the folder to the new target location I moved the folders to.

Bottom line, is it safe for me to fix these reparse point errors?  Will the current location of these folders remain intact?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

RiteBrain

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It's safe to ignore them I have all my folders redirected and it will pop up the same way just ignore them and you should be fine.
Julian

Offline RiteBrain

• View Profile
OK, I'll do that then.  Thanks for the info.