Author Topic: help with window package files  (Read 15516 times)

Offline icarus

• View Profile
help with window package files
« on: April 27, 2016, 01:56:38 PM »
i decided to try to find something to help with windows before i tried a reinstall/repair found your tool on bleeping computer
i ran the prescan and found these issues. i went to the windows catalog site and downloaded 2 kb files eventhough it showed 6 cats and mum
i opened the "Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3009736)" and it said i already had it eventhough i couldnt find it in installed updates in my control panel. and i opened the other"Update for Windows 7 (KB3009736)" it said update not applicable for this computer. it was x86. i didnt want to try to repair the environment variables or reparse points until i checked these issues. my machine info is this

windows 7 home premium edition
64 bit operating system
service pack 1

┌────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.8.7 - Pre-Scan
│ Computer: KENNETHCOOPER (Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1) (64-bit)
│ [Started Scan - 4/27/2016 3:26:45 PM]
└────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
┌────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Scanning Windows Packages Files.
│ Started at (4/27/2016 3:26:45 PM)

│ These Files Are Missing: (Total: 6)
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_1_for_KB3009736~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.cat
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_1_for_KB3009736~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.mum
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB3009736_SP1~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.cat
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB3009736_SP1~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.mum
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB3009736~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.cat
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB3009736~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.mum

6 Combined Problems were found with the packages files, these files need to be replaced (These mainly only effect installing Windows Updates.)
│ The SFC (System File Checker) doesn't scan and replace some of these files, so you may need to replace them manually.

│ THESE FILES DO NOT KEEP THE REPAIRS FROM WORKING; YOU MAY STILL RUN THE REPAIRS IN THE PROGRAM.

│ If you need help in replacing these files, post on the Forums at Tweaking.com for help.

│ Files Checked & Verified: 8,081

│ Done Scanning Windows Packages Files.(4/27/2016 3:35:08 PM)
└────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
│ Scanning Reparse Points.
│ Started at (4/27/2016 3:35:08 PM)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: My Music) (Original Path: C:\Users\kenneth cooper\Documents\My Music) (Target Path: C:\Users\kenneth cooper\Music) (Creation Time: 12/13/2012 5:09:16 AM)
Target Path doesn't exist!

│ Problems were found with the Reparse Points.
│ You can use the Repair Reparse Points Tool at the bottom of this Window to try and fix these problems.

│ Files & Folders Searched: 255,532
│ Reparse Points Found: 46

│ Done Scanning Reparse Points.(4/27/2016 3:42:10 PM)
│ Checking Environment Variables.
│ Started at (4/27/2016 3:42:10 PM)

│ This folder in the 'Path' variable doesn't exist: C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86

│ This folder in the 'Path' variable doesn't exist: C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static

│ This folder in the 'Path' variable doesn't exist: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\

│ This folder in the 'Path' variable doesn't exist: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\12.0\DLLShared\

│ Problems were found with the Environment Variables.
│ You can use the Repair Environment Variables Tool at the bottom of this Window to try and fix these problems.

│ Done Checking Environment Variables. (4/27/2016 3:42:10 PM)
│ [Finished Scan - 4/27/2016 3:42:10 PM]

• Scan Complete - Problems Found!

• You can use the Repair Reparse Points or Repair Environment Variables tools at the bottom of this Window if needed.

• While problems have been found, you can still run the repairs in the program.

• But for the best results it is recommended to fix the problems reported in this scan if possible.

• If you need help fixing any of the items in the log, just post in the forums at Tweaking.com for help.

another issue is sometimes my explore.exe will restart on my computer when i click properties on my start menu it makes my taskbar disappear and all the desktop icons. lucky i had my firefox browser open so i could get to my folders and restart it because even running a new task in the task manager didnt bring it back

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: help with window package files
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 02:30:40 PM »
I've moved your thread to the Cat and Mum File Requests section for the Pre-Scan problems but you will need to open a new thread in the Computer Help section for your explorer.exe problem.

You can run the Windows Repair program to see if they resolve that problem while you are waiting for Julian to pick up your thread for those, but can you describe exactly what you are doing and what happens as your description seems a bit vague.

Are you talking about explorer.exe which is Windows Explorer or iexplorer.exe which is Internet Explorer ?

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 05:52:02 PM »
its both...when i opened up my start/windows logo and right clicked computer and went to properties to see the info i got the same internet explorer warning box searching for solutions. It closed the taskbar and all the desktop icons went poof.

the same thing happens when i use the internet explorer browser it has the popup warning and keeps closing the page until it stops because of a loop. ive done all the suggested things I've run sfc/scannow, reset settings, disabled all addons, things in the advanced tab. i even tried RE-registering files through a elevated cmd but i couldn't do all the ones mentioned...some were missing i think

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 12:36:00 AM »
Check Event Viewer for time stamped errors for when you are experiencing this.

Do you have any restore points back to before this started ?

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 11:29:13 AM »
Man that sounds like a corrupt user profile have you tried making another admin account? To see if explorer.exe does the same thing? And ill be able to get those files for you in a bit im currently on lunch but I have to go back to work for 8 hours.
Julian

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:04:05 PM »
maybe i should just do the repairs to see if it helps. I did make another user account when i was checking on my photoviewer problem and i still had the same issues with not being able to open pics in photoviewer and internet explorer browser problems restarting the page in the loop. i did this in safemode. i didn't try to make the desktop explorer crash in safemode. i can't keep restore points they disappear after reboots even after increasing the size for restore points and cutting it off and on.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 05:24:28 AM »
First grab the zip file off this page and apply the reg file it in to add the take owner ship to the right click menu in explorer.
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/add_quottake_ownershipquot_to_right_click_menu_in_vista_amp_7,1.html

Once that is done go to C:\Windows\servicing\ and right click on Packages and click on take ownership. You will now be able to copy the files into that folder.

I have attached the missing files, extract the files out of the attached zip file and put them in the C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\ folder.

Then run the pre-scan again, put a check on the box to have it add the cat files back to the database. :cheesy:

(THIS REPAIR IS USER SPECIFIC IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH MISSING CAT OR MUM FILES MAKE A POST IN COMPUTER HELP AND I WILL HUNT DOWN THOSE FILES FOR YOU) :cheesy:
Julian

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 01:06:09 PM »
i had slight problems installing them but i finally did, i extracted them directly to the packages folder and saw they were there already from 2 years ago but i replaced them with the newer ones and the scan showed no missing files. i fixed the reparse points and i half repaired environment variables i didn't do step 7. because it had os as Windows_NT and i wasnt sure if i should change it to windows 7

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 02:33:25 PM »
Windows_NT is the generic name and Win 7 is version Windows NT 6.1 - the 6.1 bit is what you see prior to the 7601 which is in your Pre-Scan log and the 1 on the end shows that SP1 is installed.

If it was Win 7 without SP1 it would be 6.1.7600

There's even a Windows NT section in the registry -

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 08:16:34 AM »
you learn something new everyday,
well it doesn't seem to have mattered....the scans came back okay for the reparse points and environment variables

next up the rest of the repairs in safe mode

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 08:27:57 AM »
Shane advises to run the repairs twice.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 08:29:40 AM by Boggin »

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 05:33:28 PM »
well i tried the repairs i repaired once then rebooted and tried to repair again but the computer cut off before it was done the second time. i tried a third time and it cut off. it said it over heated once so i waied until it cooled and tried again but it cut off again without the over heat message. so i tried to log on as normal but it kept loading in save mode even when i choose normal startup.

i tried the restore but it just stayed on the restore is initializing screen for like a hour
i even tried the recovery option but i got a BSOD saying it was a error. so now it just stays in safe mode even though i have internet access. i restored the registry but that didn't help.

should i just give up and try to repair install windows and do a reset to factory settings?

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 10:48:04 PM »
i was able to get out of safe mode by unticking it in msconfig but my restore point disappeared. before it disappeared it read it was damaged when i tried to restore from the recovery options. it couldn't unload a file from  D because it was deleted or missing. i'm unsure what the windows tweaking was supposed to fix it did fix some reparse points and environment variables but the other issues i had im still having.

1. cant open pictures in photoviewer- ntdll.dll issues
2. explorer.exe and iexplorer problem crash and restart, on the browser it does it in a loop  until it stops and closes the page more ntdll.ll issues
3. restore points disappear
4. can't download a specific update for months
5. windows feature is blank so i cant turn windows explorer off
6. cant upgrade to windows 11 it says i dont have service pack 1 but i do

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 01:29:45 AM »
I think you are going to have to address the overheating problem first as this can affect the CPU.

It may only need a good blow out with a can of compressed air, not forgetting a good blow over the keyboard as some makes draw air in through the keyboard.

The free version of HWMonitor will show you your temps - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

BlueScreenView will analyse the Memory Dump files if your computer is set to make them and give a pointer to what is causing the BSODs.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

For the IE and explore.exe failures, then look in Event Viewer for related Errors - any Critical will probably be just Event ID 41 which only tell you what you already know in that the machine shutdown suddenly.

Boot up into the advanced boot options and select Repair your Computer then navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Command Prompt - making note of where it locates the OS to be repaired, as it isn't always C:

At the cmd prompt enter chkdsk x: /f where x is the drive letter, but the cmd bcdedit |find "osdevice" will also give you the partition letter prior to performing the chkdsk.

In this mode, a reboot isn't required to dismount the volume first and you will see what it reports on the screen - disregard the error 50 at the end but look to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

If your HDD is fine then I'd go for the factory reset after backing up your personal stuff, as this will reformat the HDD rather than just overwriting the current OS with a repair install.

While you have a damaged system, it would still be prudent to create an external system image and a system repair disk before you proceed with the factory reset.

As far as I know, all laptop vendors allow you to create system recovery disks which is a copy of what is in the Recovery Partition.

This utility should be in All programs/the computer model folder, but they usually only allow you to make one copy although sometimes you may be able to create another set following a factory reset - but not always.

If the system is that corrupt, it may not allow for a successful factory reset, in which case you would need to change the boot order and factory reset with those.

In extreme cases, you may need to purchase OEM Recovery Disks from your computer vendor to factory reset with.

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 02:32:26 AM »
i made a windows 7 repair disc a long time ago but the external system image is that the same as the back up windows wants you to make. how much space is that i think i read its would take a lot of cd's or dvds to get it all.

and doing a factory reset would fix problems with damaged window 7 files and corruption or would i still need to repair install it?

i'll check the disc from the boot option and see what it reads

anything