Author Topic: help with window package files  (Read 15501 times)

Offline icarus

• View Profile
Re: help with window package files
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 12:21:30 AM »
i didn't get that error when i ran hdsentinel but i already uninstalled it. i just looked in the windows updates and a lot of new updates related to the microsoft net frame work was there maybe if i install these updates it will help with the problem. ill try again...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:23:40 AM by icarus »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2016, 12:47:57 AM »
It's possible but it may also have just been a glitch.

Did you check Event Viewer for any time stamped errors ?

It's good to see that you are getting updates and while .NET Framework updates can be occasionally troublesome, I'd go ahead and install them.

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 03:20:15 PM »
i got the unhandled exception from microsoft net framework again but i ran two test anyway. the short drive self test that failed at about 10% in,
and the short generic test that passed at 100 percent.  i installed hdsentinel again and it still has the same results of 78% health

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 03:41:22 PM »
Did you check Event Viewer to see if it gives more details on that error message with an Event ID No. ?

You could take it in to a repair shop - explain what you want to do regards the HDD and they would probably back up your stuff for you prior to fitting a new HDD, but if the volume is corrupt in some way then you would be just putting the problem back onto the new HDD - but ask what the cost would be and then you can decide if the repair is viable - but it would be handy to know what is reported in Event Viewer and which application is causing the error.

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 09:14:23 PM »
i contacted a repair shop and it would be like 400 dollars for everything in total

$180 to install Windows 7, all the updates, MS Office 2010 Professional +, Adobe Flash & Reader, Microsoft Security Essentials Anti-Virus, connect to printer, Internet and Email.

$60 to save and restore data from old drive

$60 for new hard drive, no install charge

$10 for the fan, $90 to install fan

can i install windows 7 from a iso disk i have and just use my product key myself?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2016, 12:47:58 AM »
Where did you get the Win 7 ISO from and does it include SP1 ?

Digital River used to supply Win 7 SP1 ISOs and is where I got mine from, but they could need a valid retail key to activate them.

With your current install,  go Start - type Slui 3 and press enter then enter your COA sticker key to see if it will accept it.

There is another method that you can use to use your COA sicker key after a repair install in this article -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-oem-product-key-be-used-to-re-install-windows/2669057f-28d6-455c-bc44-e0e68c2e3b33?auth=1

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

If you can change your product key to your COA sticker key, perform a repair install then with a working validated OS you could then create a system image onto an external HDD.

Have the HDD replaced - use your ISO to install Win 7 then without entering a product key, you will be able to restore with the system image.

I would create a system image first before going ahead with the repair install as well as backing up the drivers which you will find in C:\Windows\System32 - there are three folders and you can drag & drop them back in after the repair install.

I would create that system image onto different media to the one prior to changing the HDD.

If using an external HDD to create the system image onto, to restore from it, you need to boot up with either a System Repair or install disk to select Repair your Computer to navigate to the Recovery Environment, to use the option to Restore from an image I created earlier.

That's the way I would go about it, but why do they need to change a fan ?

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2016, 01:35:36 AM »
i have been having problems with overheating, i had the fan changed a few months before but it seems that it didn't help because i had the overheating problems again.

the iso i made had sp1 i think i got it from the same link you actually sent me. i downloaded the files then used the tool to make a disk.
i do have my product key written down i got it from some info on my computer.

the repair shop said if i had the hdd replaced i would have my windows on the damaged hdd that they would return to me. but i wouldn't need that i could use the iso like a original windows installation disk?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2016, 01:57:37 AM »
There are basically two product keys on an OEM machine, the COA sticker key and the vendor's generic key which are both displayed as a 5 x 5 set of characters.

The likes of Belarc Advisor, Magic Jellybean and the free version of Speccy will only give the vendor's generic key which will not be accepted as a valid key.

When you go Start - right click on Computer and select Properties, do you have a link at the bottom to change the product key - I've only gotten that option since I used Slui 3 on this laptop to change it to the COA sticker key.

Using Slui 3 on my older laptop will not accept either the COA or the generic key as valid so I'm unable to change the key, or do I have the option in Computer/Properties to do it from there.

This is why you need to see if yours will.

anything