Author Topic: robocopy a robust copier if there is no error,  (Read 2964 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
robocopy a robust copier if there is no error,
« on: October 26, 2016, 06:08:04 AM »
Hi, I am going to share this tip as this is very useful for copying bulk data, with the date and time stamp of the folders and files in removable drives to computer or to the other pendrive maintaining the file created dates and latest updated as it is originally created. There are so much commands in robocopy. But i will give the most useful command if you want to copy , say a content of pandrive to c: drive or D: drive to copy it again to another pendrive .
                      you have to have win 7 atleast to do this. But excellent command prompt commands. You could see more in microsoft sites. But let me put a simple and useful command. If suppose, i want to format the H: pendrive  I want to copy all the contents to the D drive , but later i would want to copy to the same pendrive or another say G:
The syntax is this
c:windows\system32  cmd as admin
now type
                           robocopy h:\ D:\pendrivecopy /E/copyall/dcopy:T
to explain this robocopy source destination /E/copyall/dcopy:T
mind the gap between source and destination and change of slashes. If you donot mind the gap between source and destiny there may be chances that it will create Letter E and copy some files.
                         The copying is very fast and no loss in the data whatsover. Windows assigns suitable commands to copy all sorts of extensions. it will also show, the statistics at the end of copying. Now , all the folders and files of the pendrive got copied to d in pendrive folder. Now after formatting the pendrive, to copy to the same drive, please change the source as d:pendrive and destination as H:\ if you do not specify the folder path, it would take it as *.* and copy the contents. Now , you maintain the same date of folders and file created in this case. Please give your feed back. Thank you.
                                Robocopy is better than third party softwares. It has so much syntax. If the file is corrupted, it will not be copied. Rest in my next tip

N B: ordinary copying would assign the date of copying to the folders
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

anything