Author Topic: How to remove Internet Explorer (9, 10 & 11)  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
How to remove Internet Explorer (9, 10 & 11)
« on: September 07, 2016, 04:36:22 PM »
- I consider this to be something for the geeks. The title is a bit misleading. It's more that we can fool Windows into thinking that that version of IE was never installed. And I also don't know whether this will work when one has reduce the size of the infamous "Winsxs" folder. It could be helpful.

The magic trick is to delete one file in one special folder with this command:

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c “cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart”

(this is for IE 11)

More details:
- https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/askie/2015/07/27/unable-to-upgrade-to-ie-11-because-of-error-9c59/
- https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/askie/2014/03/28/command-line-options-available-to-uninstall-internet-explorer/

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove Internet Explorer (9, 10 & 11)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 01:14:00 AM »
Rather than messing around in the registry, it can be turned off in Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on and off by unchecking its box, but it is essential that you have another browser installed first as you will lose all access to the Internet.

Checking the box will reinstate IE, although in Win 7 it didn't always reinstate so it was best to create a restore point before turning it off.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: How to remove Internet Explorer (9, 10 & 11)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 07:48:30 AM »
- I forgot to add that this trick could (!!!) work when the user is tuck with error "9c59".

anything