Author Topic: Pre-Scan Package File Issue  (Read 7722 times)

Offline Jorge_Sanchez

• View Profile
Pre-Scan Package File Issue
« on: November 25, 2015, 10:58:36 PM »
Hello,

I have been having issues with windows update where I would get the following when attempting to run windows update, "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer." Unfortunately, after restarting my system the problem still persists. The pre-scan came up with 1,776 issues  :omg:. I ran SFC and it said it couldn't fix it. I ran the repair function twice, once after a reboot, and the problem still persists. I have a windows 7 SP1 home premium. Pre-scan log is attached to this thread. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Offline Jorge_Sanchez

• View Profile
Re: Pre-Scan Package File Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 09:57:02 AM »
TTT

Any assistance regarding this issue? I know there are a ton of issues in the pre-scan file but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  :smiley:

- Jorge

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:16:45 AM »
Julian would normally help with this when Shane is tied up with his business, although he hasn't been well lately.

However, I've e-mailed Shane for him to have a look for you who while normally would upload those files for you, may have other advice given how many there are.

Tom.

Offline Jorge_Sanchez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:27:59 AM »
Julian would normally help with this when Shane is tied up with his business, although he hasn't been well lately.

However, I've e-mailed Shane for him to have a look for you who while normally would upload those files for you, may have other advice given how many there are.

Tom.

Hi Boggin,

I appreciate your assistance in getting this issue forwarded. Hopefully I can get the issue resolved instead of reformatting the whole PC. The PC having issues is my parents and god knows what they did to screw it up this badly.  :shocked:

- Jorge

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 10:46:24 AM »
Corrupt Package files are regularly reported on here for Windows Updates not working, although I don't know what the cause is, but it may not be down to something your parents have done.

It's about 10:45am where Shane is so he may be out on a job.

I haven't had a reply back from him yet, so suggest you have a look back in later rather than hanging on.

Offline Jorge_Sanchez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 12:28:06 PM »
Corrupt Package files are regularly reported on here for Windows Updates not working, although I don't know what the cause is, but it may not be down to something your parents have done.

It's about 10:45am where Shane is so he may be out on a job.

I haven't had a reply back from him yet, so suggest you have a look back in later rather than hanging on.

Hi Boggin,

This isn't an urgent issue so any help I can get whenever would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for assisting me in this matter, I will continue to check to see if Shane can assist with these issues.

- Jorge

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 08:34:13 PM »
Corrupt packages wouldnt give the error you got about the service not running. Skip the pre-scan and boot into safe mode and have the program run ALL the repairs and then see how it does :-)

Of course before that make sure you can your system for infections, try adwcleaner and malwarebytes anti rootkit if you havent yet. A lot of infections kill the windows update service.

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Jorge_Sanchez

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 08:47:32 PM »
Corrupt packages wouldnt give the error you got about the service not running. Skip the pre-scan and boot into safe mode and have the program run ALL the repairs and then see how it does :-)

Of course before that make sure you can your system for infections, try adwcleaner and malwarebytes anti rootkit if you havent yet. A lot of infections kill the windows update service.

Shane

Hey Shane,

Thanks for getting back. I have the latest version and updated ESET smart security I ran prior to running the tool. Should I still try using adwcleaner and malwarebytes anti rootkit prior to running the tool? Also, I thought I ran "all" the repairs in the tweak tool set but is there a certain portion you are referring to when you say "all"? or do you mean just run each of the repair steps post virus scan? Thanks in advance for the help.

- Jorge

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »
I would run the other scanners as well, no program is perfect and so a lot of times one program will find something that another missed :-)

When I mean all the repairs, I mean that on the repair window with the list of repairs you just have a everything checked (And be running in safe mode of course) I have a select all button at the bottom of the list to make it easier :-)

Also a trick is to run all the repairs twice, on the repair tab before you go to the repairs it will explain that a little better.

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Jorge_Sanchez

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 08:57:35 PM »
I would run the other scanners as well, no program is perfect and so a lot of times one program will find something that another missed :-)

When I mean all the repairs, I mean that on the repair window with the list of repairs you just have a everything checked (And be running in safe mode of course) I have a select all button at the bottom of the list to make it easier :-)

Also a trick is to run all the repairs twice, on the repair tab before you go to the repairs it will explain that a little better.

Shane

Sounds good, I will try the suggested recommendation and will report back with the results. Thank you!

- Jorge

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 05:46:31 PM »
Any update on this yet I'm curious of the results :D
Julian

Offline Jorge_Sanchez

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 07:53:29 AM »
Any update on this yet I'm curious of the results :D

Hey Julian,

As of now I have ran both adwcleaner and malwarebytes anti rootkit without any issues found. Unfortunately I may have to delay running the Tweak tool again as the PC is in a different city and I won't have physical access to it until after new years.  :sad: Do you by any chance know if you can run logmein while in safemode with network? I maybe able to get to this earlier if I can still remote in while running the Tweak tool.

- Jorge

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 09:05:03 AM »
You can use LogMenIn in Safe Mode with Networking, but you have to do it from your end.

http://help.logmein.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Can-I-use-LogMeIn-in-safe-mode-en1

However, I believe LogMeIn is now a paid for program whereas TeamViewer isn't and that has the same facility.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwiLj62S6NvJAhXBWxQKHa9NBE0QFggjMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.teamviewer.com%2Fen%2Fres%2Fpdf%2FTeamViewer7_Manual_RemoteControl_EN.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHzK1lYsGfF059GlCtlbo78nDwHpg&bvm=bv.109910813,d.ZWU&cad=rjt

While I don't know if this is the same in LogMeIn, if the target computer has a log in password then the end user would need to enter that password before TeamViewer can proceed - so I've briefly read.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »
While I don't know if this is the same in LogMeIn, if the target computer has a log in password then the end user would need to enter that password before TeamViewer can proceed - so I've briefly read.
true boggin but teamviewer when started as a service will allow remoting in at the login screen because you do not need to login users when having a service start up.
Here is the complete way windows loads everything during start up. I showed this to Shane so he could fix users who could not login to disable safemode (mainly windows 8&10 users who used pin and forgot default password) so he built a service that creates and runs in safe mode one time and kicks you out of safe mode and delete's itself after running successfully.

1. HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute. This can include instructions to schedule the running of chkdsk but not user programs.
2. Services start next, followed by the RunServicesOnce and RunServices registry keys (if present)
3. User then logs on to the system
4. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\UserInit. This points to the program C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe and the entry ends with a comma. Other programs can be started from this key by appending them and separating them with a comma.
5. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell. This should contain just one entry, explorer.exe.
6. Program entries in these 2 registry keys for ALL USERS start next:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and \RunOnce
7. Program entries in these 2 registry keys for CURRENT USER start next:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and \RunOnce
8. Programs in the Startup Folders of All Users and Current User are started last of all.

Important programs like antivirus and firewall start early in the sequence as Services. The icons that appear in the Notification Area (bottom right of the screen) are just their user interfaces, i.e. options and preferences.

anyways long story short here is what i do i set up team viewer then i setup unattended access i leave the computer on it can be logged off as long as the service is running so if teamviewer starts up with windows that should not be a problem. here is a snapshot of setting up unattended access with your computer under the extras tab.
Julian

anything