Author Topic: Repair running for hours  (Read 6105 times)

Offline FuzzyCA

• View Profile
Repair running for hours
« on: November 15, 2016, 04:38:32 pm »
I have a fairly capable, fairly new machine -- Lenovo W540.  I was hoping to diagnose an issue where the machine is slow for five minutes after a cold start.  The suite of repairs has been running (In Safe mode, Proper power reset done first) for 2 hours and ten minutes, and it's in step 2 of 43.  Is this normal?  I don't see posts about it.  It does seem to be moving along, but I'm concerned I may die before it completes.  How long should I expect it to run?  Guesses?

Offline FuzzyCA

• View Profile
Re: Repair running for hours
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 04:39:54 pm »
... forgot to mention Windows 10 Pro -- all updates in place.

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 01:12:45 am »
It shouldn't be running that long on the Permissions repair.

Stop the program and hang slack on running the program again as there have been complaints about the Permissions resets in Win 10.

These have been reported to Shane and I'm still waiting for him to get back to me on those.

Go to Option 5 and use the Registry Restore option to revert any changes it may have made.

Use the dropdown to select the restore date then hit the restore button.

Have you checked the Startup menu in Task Manager to see if any have a high impact which you can click on and select Disable.

If you are using a 3rd party antivirus program, then that could be taking its time in scanning at boot by not releasing the files as it should.

You could disable your AV program and then reboot to see if there's any improvement just as you can disable all items under the Startup tab in Task Manager.

To assimilate a cold boot, remove all power sources then hold the power button down for about 30 secs.

Offline FuzzyCA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 10:53:58 am »
Thank you.

The process did eventually finish (ca. 6hrs), and initially the results looked good -- start-up was quick.  However, some WMI configuration or objects needed for Hyper-V have disappeared; so my two VMs, which are at the core of my consulting business, are inaccessible.  I restored the registry, as you recommended, without any problems, but also without any improvement.

I have been trying to restore from a restore point all morning.  The one I requested to be made during the Windows Repair process is nowhere to be found, and Windows has had trouble with the two previous restore points I have selected.  It's working on the third one now.

Do you have any recommendations for me on the Hyper V problems?  I have been down nearly 24 hours.

Thank you

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 01:47:40 pm »
I pass on any adverse effects of using the repair program to Shane of which he's working on now because of permissions problems which should be resolved in a new version release.

I'll add this one to the list.

Offline FuzzyCA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 05:48:33 pm »
Thanks for being attentive.  I have abandoned all hope and am restoring from system image now.  Do you have any idea why my restore point wasn't created?  I am certain that I selected both backups.  It probably didn't matter though, as NONE of my restore points (I tried four) could be used successfully.  Two files were referenced (one per failure) in the various restore point attempts:  a .vpn file, and an .rdc file.  Both obviously connected to my Hyper-V/VM usage.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 12:45:37 am »
You aren't the first one to report the restore point non-existent when using the program to create it.

I'll mention this to Shane.