Main Forum > General Computer Support

Unable to update Windows 10 to 1709 - SOLVED

<< < (2/3) > >>

ddmoore66:
I also get error code: 0xc1900201
I'll try a few more times and see if it produces additional errors.

David

p.s. I've also tried running the "Windows Update Assistant", the "Windows Update Troubleshooter" and also started my system with minimal start up and services running.

Boggin:
Have you considered a clean install after backing up your personal stuff as well as creating an image backup ?

ddmoore66:
Yes I have. That's what i'm trying to avoid. If it comes to it, I am prepared to do that.

David

Boggin:
I got sick of waiting for 1709 to come through Windows Update so I manually updated with a Win 10 install disk on both of my Win 10 laptops.

The procedure is the same as for a repair install.

On one of the machines, it duplicated the reserved partition - don't know why it did that.

Neither of my low spec Toshiba originally Win 7 laptops are supposed to be Win 10 compatible but one of them is slower than the other.

March's updates have substantially slowed the boot up time on that one and increased the boot time by 20secs on this one.

Both machines were bought in 2011.

ddmoore66:
SUCCESS!!!!
After much hesitation and tire kickin' i bit the bullet and purchased the full version on the MiniTool Partition Wizard (the free version will not work for this "fix"). The issue revolved around the "System Reserved Partition". It was set at point at 100MB and I was using 86 MB of it for something. That only left 14MB of it left for updating Windows to 1709. I tried everything I (and Google) could think of to expand the SRP.
Long story short... Get yourself a usb drive, full copy of the Partition Wizard and create a boot drive on that little usb. Apparently, Windows doesn't take to kindly to adjusting system partitions on a drive while it is being used. So by booting using the usb I was able to change the SRP to something above 500MB +/- and vwala , I now have a fully functional, updated Windows 10, 1709 Fall Creators Version PC.

Thanks for all of your help Boggin

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version