Author Topic: Windows 10 booting into Safe Mode problems  (Read 4360 times)

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
Windows 10 booting into Safe Mode problems
« on: March 02, 2019, 11:46:43 pm »
As a user of CryptoPrevent, I receive regular emails from the developers d7xTech Software and notice that they've released version 5.0 of BootSafe - https://www.d7xtech.com/bootsafe-v5-0-released/.

I haven't used it and am not as yet on Windows 10 (my laptop isn't supported) but was interested in the comments in the release notes' "Special note for Microsoft accounts in Windows 10" and its mention of the possibility of getting locked into Safe Mode in certain circumstances and the claim that this tool might resolve that issue. I thought it might be of interest to the forum as I believe I've seen a few instances where Microsoft 10 users have got locked into Safe Mode.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 12:09:42 am by Still_Game, Reason: Clarification »
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 booting into Safe Mode problems
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 01:44:26 am »
The reason Win 10 users had with Safe Mode after using the Windows Repair program was because MS had changed the path where the program was unable to fully release from that mode, so that Windows Defender was isolated from performing a scan.

Shane had incorporated a safe mode release batch file in the repair program that should have released safe mode, but found that didn't work where further investigation found the changes MS had made.

In light of that, Shane has removed the relevant repair from the program.

Are those Win 10 users you are referring to also Windows Repair users or has this become a natural complaint with Win 10 for those other than WR users ?

I used to have CryptoPrevent installed but found it blocked Control Panel cmds, so out it went.

As my Norton Security provides the same security against Ransomware, it was surplus to requirements anyway.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
Re: Windows 10 booting into Safe Mode problems
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 02:25:05 am »
I'm not sure whether getting locked in safe mode in Windows 10 is a problem for other than WR users, but I suspect so from the release notes for BootSafe 5.0:-

"Special note for Microsoft accounts in Windows 10:

Windows 10 introduces Microsoft (online) accounts as the default user creation type, which allow certain settings and files to be backed up online and/or transferred to other PCs that also sign-in with the same user accounts.  These accounts require a password which may NOT allow login from Safe Mode!

BootSafe v5.0 and above have introduces a feature to optionally create a temporary administrative user (named "BootSafe_TempAdmin") when BootSafe detects that it is run from a Microsoft account.  This temporary user may be necessary for login to Safe Mode, and has no password assigned to it.  Upon return to Normal Mode and login to any other administrative user account, this temporary user will be automatically deleted.

If this user were NOT created, and your Microsoft account password did NOT work in Safe Mode, then you would be STUCK in Safe Mode; therefore if BootSafe prompts you to create this temporary user, it is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to choose YES."

But, as I admitted, Windows 10 is pretty much uncharted water for me - but I'm aware I might need to dive in when Windows 7 goes EOL in a year's time.
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro