Author Topic: System File Check Help  (Read 12474 times)

Offline jeffreyabr

• View Profile
System File Check Help
« on: January 13, 2012, 12:05:29 pm »
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on a Dell Vostro 1520 with 8GB of RAM.

I'm, not even sure that I have a problem, but I used the System File Check feature and got the error that "Windows Resource Protection found some corrupted files, but was unable to fix some of them." (http://i.imgur.com/ovsoH.jpg)

Is this anything to worry about?

I just got done with fixing my MBR and a few weeks ago I had some registry issues after a virus. Since then, I have been running Malwarebytes and AVG scans, Startup Repair, chkdsk /f and /r, and Dell Diagnostic scans constantly, but I have no issues.

What can I do and what should I do with this news?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: System File Check Help
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:08:35 pm »
You will need to check the log file to see what files couldn't be replaced.

If you had a virus you may want to run combofix and tdsskiller to make sure you dont have any rootkits still running around. :wink:

It might not be a big deal, but first we need to see what files it cant replace.

Shane

Offline jeffreyabr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:34:29 pm »
Sorry about that! Can't believe I forgot to attach the log.

I hope it's alright that I uploaded it to HotFile. It came out to 3.79mb which was too big for the attachment feature on this site.

http://hotfile.com/dl/141631914/c2274e6/CBS.log.html

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:42:53 pm »
Thats fine :-)

I have the forum set for no size limit. Must be a php limit I need to go change :wink:

Just checked the file and man did SFC replace a lot of files!

But I couldn't find any errors on anything important. So I would say you should be fine if your not having a problems :wink:

Shane

Offline jeffreyabr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 01:04:32 pm »

Just checked the file and man did SFC replace a lot of files!

But I couldn't find any errors on anything important. So I would say you should be fine if your not having a problems :wink:

Shane

What does it mean that SFC replaced a lot of files? SFC is a part of Windows that is just initiated by the utility, right?

I know that I had that cheeky "Win 7 Anit Virus" malware when I downloaded Tweaking.com's tool. I assume that's what caused the issues...

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 01:06:34 pm »
It doesnt mean much. the SFC was replacing a lot of minor things. So not to sure what that means, but it doesnt worry me.

That nasty Win 7 Antivirus virus is almost always comes with a rootkit. In the Windows repair tool of mine I give links to combofix and tdsskiller.

Make sure to run those :wink:

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 01:08:05 pm »
Oh, a ton of new viruses come in through security holes in java and flash. Always make sure to update those.

If you got infected by simply looking at websites then I am willing to bet either your java or flash is out of date :wink:

Shane

Offline jeffreyabr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 09:46:44 pm »
Oh, a ton of new viruses come in through security holes in java and flash. Always make sure to update those.

If you got infected by simply looking at websites then I am willing to bet either your java or flash is out of date :wink:

Shane

Yeah, I had the same experience as this guy (http://www.reddit.com/r/self/comments/nyj4q/apparently_the_last_post_about_this_did_not_get/) except I was on imgur. I was able to fix it easily, but the second time it happened, I was on another site, saw my Java icon pop out and knew something was up...

I haven't run ComboFix, although I might give it a whirl now just in case. Yesterday I had a whole catastrophe with my MBR getting corrupted (or something like that; I still don't even understand what and how it happened). I'm just thankful that I'm up and running again.