Author Topic: jscript and vbscript.dll will not stay registered  (Read 6066 times)

Offline lab99

• View Profile
jscript and vbscript.dll will not stay registered
« on: April 09, 2013, 05:49:03 am »
Windows 8 Pro 64Bit - I tried to open an avi file by clicking on it and instead of the video playing I got a server execution failed error. I did research on the error and found it was related to jscript.dll and vbscript.dll not being registered. I opened an admin command prompt and re-registered the dll files regsvr32 dll name. This fixed the problem and media files started playing as before. Shortly afterwards I rebooted the computer, tried to play a media file and got the server execution error again. I registered the 2 dll's again and everything was fine. Problem is, every time I reboot the machine, something is unregistering these 2 dll files.

I've ran virus and malware scanners and my system is clean so that's not the cause. I am not really sure when this problem started but I was able to play media files in WMP a week or 2 or 3 ago, and is has been a while since I have installed any new software other than updates to existing programs.

I ran Windows Repair All in One yesterday and it did find issues, that it repaired but this issue was not fixed. I think it has something to do with registry permissions, however resetting registry permissions is not available for Windows 8 in the repair tool. I did try to reset the ownership of the 2 dll files, problem is that I was denied access to vbscript.dll, was able to reset permissions for jscript.dll but on reboot permissions were set back to the original setting.

Thoughts anyone??

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: jscript and vbscript.dll will not stay registered
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:41:37 pm »
I wonder if it has to do with the codec used to play the files.

Download and install the k-lite codec pack and see if it helps :wink:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm

Shane