Author Topic: Your power plan information isn't available. The RPC server is unavailable.  (Read 26672 times)

Offline filouk

• View Profile
"Your power plan information isn't available. The RPC server is unavailable."

That is what I get when I go into Windows 8 "Power Settings". No Power option is available, only this little message with a white cross inside a red circle.

There is no way I can fix this, I tried everything related to either message but nothing makes it.

This precise error message (combination of "power plan info not available AND rpc server stuff) is nowhere to be found on google.

Of course the Windows Repair 1.9.13 didn't work either.

Anyone ?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 08:32:32 am by filouk »

Offline filouk

• View Profile
Got it working finally. I went there http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9413-services-restore-default-services-windows-8-a.html and downloaded a REG file for resetting the "Power" key in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:11:07 am by filouk »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
OK so you just needed the power service back ont he system :-) I will get that added to the Windows repair :wink:

Shane

Offline filouk

• View Profile
OK so you just needed the power service back ont he system :-) I will get that added to the Windows repair :wink:

Shane

Yes but I took some time to figure that out, the "RPC" allusion can lure you into thinking it might come from somewhere else.

Also, it would be nice to add a repair for the Windows Search. For information I had a "error 1053" / -2147218173 error code, and even Microsoft Fix-It would do nothing. I solved it in a strange way : I went there HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search and I set SetupCompletedSuccessfully from 1 to 0. Unfortunately it generated a BSOD (btw hate that smiley on Windows 8 bsod, it's like Microsoft is laughing at you !) . I needed to boot into Safe Mode in order to revert the registry change, but the problem was gone. Windows...  :sarcastic:

By the way, sorry for posting at the wrong place, I really tried hard to find the good section though, I had in mind to "help you improve the program" (as is written inside the program),  that's why i chose the "request" section  :tongue:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No problem on where you posted. Anything there is a bug or request I just move it to the right spot :-)

One thing I am thinking of doing is going through and finding all the default services that are the same for every machine on each version of windows and adding them to the repair. Had I of done this a while ago my repair tool would have fixed you the first time :wink:

The only services and reg keys I cant add are the ones that are different on each machine.

Shane

Offline filouk

• View Profile
Your program is very helpful, I could restore my registry, didn't want to do a System Restore.

By the way, the Windows Search service is a bit more complicated since it's linked to at least 2 different registry keys : beside HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WSearch there is also HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Search

I think many people get their Search corrupted, it happens to everyone one day or another. Restoring only the WSearch key didn't work for me. But I'm sure you know the keys perfectly...

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have a feeling that once I have the time to add that number of services it will make the repair tool even better than before :-)

Shane

Offline filouk

• View Profile
Yes it will ! What is truly nice with you is you really want to help people... you're making the ultimate Windows repair tool  :cheesy:

By the way, if one day you need a French translation for your software I'm your man.  :smiley:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
lol thanks :-)

I have been working on making my first game and will release it as part of tweaking.com. I am hoping to be done with it this month. After that I am going to take on the very big task of getting all the services for each version of windows lol

Shane