Author Topic: Does Registry Backup backup the entire registry  (Read 8154 times)

Offline bobn42855

• View Profile
Does Registry Backup backup the entire registry
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:50:55 pm »
Seems like a dumb question to me too but the first screen that comes up listing parts of the registry to uncheck for backup causes me to ask. I know what the registry looks like via the editor and these groupings don't register with me. I just want to make sure that if everything is checked that it means that the entire registry gets backed up. And, I guess, it begs the question for me as to why one would want the option of omitting any of these groups. Or maybe I'm just not understanding what the first screen's about at all. Thanks!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Does Registry Backup backup the entire registry
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:00:36 pm »
You have to have them all checked to backup the whole registry. Which they are all checked by default.

Why did I do ti that way? Mainly for tweak nuts or programmers like me. Where you know only one hive is going to get changed from something or you just need a copy of one or more of the hives. It is mainly for the very advanced user :-)

Shane

Offline bobn42855

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 05:00:10 am »
OK - thank you. Your reply led me to do some studying up on 'hives' and the listed groupings makes more sense to me now. Heck, I had always assumed that the registry was just one big file somewhere. The more I learn (about anything) the more I realize how much I don't know. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 06:39:29 pm »
No problem at all :-)

Shane