Author Topic: Registry Compressor, BSOD/Possible corruption after using  (Read 10903 times)

Offline front360

• View Profile
I compressed my Win8 x64 registry with your Registry Compressor, but shortly after(1 hour) the reboot my laptop BSOD'd(Critical_Process_Died).  After booting from the BSOD, Win8 notified me that my Crucial M4 filesystem needed to be repaired.  So I rebooted so Win8 could scan and repair the SSD.  After the repair I found missing icons(ironically from another Tweaking.com program I haven't used yet), errors in event viewer and I don't know what else yet.  The disk had no issues before compressing but now I see retired blocks in the event viewer.  Is the damage already done?  Should I restore .old hives?
I already ran sfc\scannow; found no problems.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Registry Compressor, BSOD/Possible corruption after using
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:15:59 pm »
Nothing in the program would hurt the drive or file system. Software cant hurt hardware, and the program is just calling a Windows API to write the registry hives to new files. Windows is actually doing all the work. Nothing more.

Sounds like you had some bad sectors on the drive and when the files got written to the drive one of them was written to a bad sector.

Have you done a chkdsk on the drive yet for bad sectors?

Shane

Offline front360

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 03:23:19 pm »
I have not run chkdsk /r in Win8 on this SSD yet.  I have on a prior SSD and in the end I RMA'd the disk, so I didn't want to unintentionally make things worse for this disk.  Do you recommend me to run chkdsk /r on my SSD now?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 03:32:10 pm »
The thing to remember is software can never hurt hardware. The only time it can is say like a video game. It is using the gpu on the video to its max which makes heat, the heat can cause damage. Other than that software cant hurt the hardware.

Software can hurt a file system since software makes the file system like ntfs. So checking your drive for bad sectors will never hurt it. When Windows checks for bad sectors it is simply reading and writing to each sector to make sure it is able to and the data it wrote matches what it reads. (Same way they test memory) and so if there is a bad sector Windows will flag it so it knows not to write to it. But again you never want even one bad sector. :wink:

What SSD do you have? I was reading a while ago that there was a few models that where failing and getting bad secotrs quickly and they put out a firmware update for the drive to fix it.

Shane

Offline front360

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:07:29 pm »
I have a Crucial M4 256GB with newest firmware 070H.  There have been about 7 firmware updates since the drive was released.  The crash was probably SSD related, but it was short after Compressing so I was curious.  There are many people on their forums complaining about the same issue.  The drive can just "drop out" or disappear while using, which can cause Windows to BSOD and when you reboot, the "No Boot Device Found" message is displayed.  You have to "Power Cycle" the SSD for the disk to be "seen" by BIOS again.  http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/65215

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 08:11:46 pm »
7 firmware updates already? Damn lol

It is things like these why I have been holding off on SSD. Waiting for price to come down and the bugs to get worked out. That and in every system I run I always do Raid 1 mirroring.

Currently I run the WD enterprise 5 year warranty drives in Raid 1.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136697

I am wanting SSD though as my WD get about 100 mb/s and those SSD are getting past 450mb/s.

Shane