Author Topic: Windows store can't connect to the server  (Read 11245 times)

Offline CasaZelig

• View Profile
Windows store can't connect to the server
« on: May 21, 2013, 10:58:05 am »
Hi,
I have a problem with the connection to the internet for Windows Store and all apps in the start screen of Windows 8.

First, I have to say that I can go on the net without problems using the browser from desktop and, also, I see that sometimes the previews of the apps is updated: the number of apps to update in Windows Store, for example, increases and the news app displays the latest news of the day. However, when I open an app, no matter what, an error message is displayed: no internet connection.

When I open Windows Store the following message is displayed: "Unable to connect to the Store. A problem has encountered with the server or a timeout of the network connection. Wait a few minutes and try again."
Obviously there is no point in waiting and the problem continues to occur from day to day and after several restarts of Windows.

Actually, I log in as administrator with a local account because I cannot even access to my Microsoft account, because "there is no connection to the server".

I tried some procedures found online, but none have solved the problem:
I tried Windows Repair All in One, but didn't work. So, I tried the SFC /scannow command and the scan stopped at 63% displaying the message: "Windows Resources Protection: impossible to do the requested operation".
I checked and synchronized the clock and I tried with the command wsreset.exe but nothing has changed.
I unsuccessfully used the automatic troubleshooting of Windows 8, but nothing happened.
I also tried to do some scans using antivirus and antispyware / malware programs, but the problem persists.

I'm afraid the problem is in some indispensable windows service or that some system file is damaged, but I don't know which one.

I read that a possible solution is to restore Windows saving all my personal files, but then I have to reinstall (and configure) again for all programs. Would love to avoid it.

Can anyone suggest anything that can solve the problem without being obliged to restore and reinstall all apps?

Thank you all.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows store can't connect to the server
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:56:35 pm »
It could be a firewall or something blocking it, could be the hosts file, but my repair would have fixed that, or it could also be a DNS problem.

So lets try my DNS trick and see if it helps you :wink:
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,1052.0.html

Shane

Offline CasaZelig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 03:19:42 pm »
Hi Shane,
thank you for reply.
I have only windows firewall active and windows update is working fine, just like before.
I tried your dns trick but metro still doesn't work.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 01:13:44 pm »
The Windows 8 app store is one of the easiest things I have seen to break, am I am being serious. If there is even a folder missing it needs it will fail (Instead of making the folder it needs) and if you touch any permissions at all in the registry the app store will break.

And of course MS has zero information on what the app store needs or uses so I havent been able to make any fixes for it yet.

When the app store breaks you are only left with the option of doing a repair install (Which keeps all your data) and MS even included Windows 8 restore mode.

Shane