Author Topic: Registry Backup error 32  (Read 11085 times)

Offline ove1

• View Profile
Registry Backup error 32
« on: June 07, 2013, 02:10:29 pm »
When I attempt a registry backup on a system with Win 7 SP1 x64, all files but two are backed up successfully.  The log shows the following errors for the two files in question:

[6/5/2013 - 3:56:23 PM] Backing Up File: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
[6/5/2013 - 3:56:23 PM] Result: Failed - Error: 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

[6/5/2013 - 3:56:23 PM] Backing Up File: C:\Users\Owner\ntuser.dat
[6/5/2013 - 3:56:23 PM] Result: Failed - Error: 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

My configuration consists of an SSD system C:\ drive and an HDD data D:\ drive.  The system Users folder resides on the D:\ drive and the C:\ drive contains a hard symlink or junction link that points to D:\Users. Clicking the C:\Users link opens up a C:\Users folder even though the contents  of Users are actually on D:

A search for this problem was unsuccessful.  I tried both a manual and automatic backup with the same results. The user login is administrative. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I have attached the logs.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:13:21 pm by ove1 »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Registry Backup error 32
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 11:18:34 am »
Ah so it fails on the user profile registry file because the user profile is on the D: drive and not the C: drive.

To pull the profile location of the system I make a Windows API call

SHGetSpecialFolderLocation

sCurrentProfile = CSIDL_PROFILE
sProfilesLocation = CSIDL_COMMON_DESKTOPDIRECTORY

So my program is pulling the path from Windows itself. How did you get the profiles to the D: drive? Reason why I ask is why is Windows telling the program they are on C:?

Shane

Offline ove1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 03:23:16 pm »

...So my program is pulling the path from Windows itself. How did you get the profiles to the D: drive? Reason why I ask is why is Windows telling the program they are on C:?

Shane

Here is the how-to link: http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7

I did this because all the Users stuff wouldn't fit on my 120GB SSD.  I suspect that if Windows didn't think that the Users folder was still on C:\, all sorts of bad things could happen with app installs, etc..  This is the first time I have had a problem with the configuration since I installed the SSD.  Well, with maybe one exception; sometimes when I have to do a system restore, and after the system reboots, I get logged into a temporary user desktop.  Then I have to do a rollback of the D:\User folder by selecting a previous version in the User folder properties that matches the restore point.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 01:18:33 pm »
What I could do is make a quick program that will list all the folders that API returns. This way we can make sure if it is showing the correct path or not :-)

Shane

Offline ove1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 06:40:20 pm »
What I could do is make a quick program that will list all the folders that API returns. This way we can make sure if it is showing the correct path or not :-)

Shane

Sorry, I have been out of touch for the past few days.  If you want to provide a test program, I would be happy to try it and report back.

I did notice in the Vss log that the listing of directories on C:\ reports the D:\Users Junction:

C:\>dir B:
 Volume in drive B is SSD
 Volume Serial Number is 7214-5953

Directory of B:\

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[6/7/2013 - 9:51:14 AM]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
05/01/2013  11:27 PM    <DIR>          AMD
04/22/2013  04:18 PM    <DIR>          Program Files
06/07/2013  04:34 AM    <DIR>          Program Files (x86)
02/26/2012  01:46 AM    <JUNCTION>     Users [D:\Users]
06/05/2013  03:56 PM    <DIR>          Windows
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
               5 Dir(s)  55,767,150,592 bytes free

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 11:10:02 pm »
Ah!!

Thats it right there. The VSS is only doing the C: drive for the snapshot. It isnt doing D:

Post some time next week after fathers day as a reminder for me, I need to work on the program and see if I can get it to better behave itself :-)

Shane

Offline ove1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 06:12:08 am »
... Post some time next week after fathers day as a reminder for me, I need to work on the program and see if I can get it to better behave itself :-)

Shane

Just a reminder bump...  :wink: