Author Topic: Laptop slows to a crawl!!!!  (Read 6217 times)

Offline naw420

• View Profile
Laptop slows to a crawl!!!!
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:18:41 am »
Hiya all, I have been having an issue with my Win7 x64 laptop coming to a crawl, it seems to do this when I try to turn on media streaming when I try to stream vids to my xbox360, but it seems to be an issue just turning on the media sharing option, after turning it on the computer responds to everything slow, and I get constant messages saying (not responding)! I setup everything correctly for file and printer sharing, and media streaming. Ive been       knocking my head trying to fix this then I ran across the all-in-one repair tool from this site and it seemed to repair the issue with the slow crawl until I try to allow media streaming! I have the logs from running the repair program, I've noticed a ICS error that keeps popping up, I'll post the report and maybe someone can see something I don't! Thanks ahead of time for any ones help! I only seem to start having multiple issues when I try to turn on media streaming but this could be another issue causing this. I have ran multiple av software and Malwarebytes, I've tried a system restore, shut startup programs down and any non microsoft services but the problem still comes back. I'll add attachment with the log file, if you want I can post it on the forum!

Laptop Specs:

Toshiba Satellite
Win7 x64 Sp1
Amd Turion64x2
2GB Ram
300GB HD

Offline sammydad1

• View Profile
Re: Laptop slows to a crawl!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 05:37:30 pm »
Hi,

Windows media player Networking has a long sad history, if memory serves, of flooding LAN with crap packets.

Don't know if they ever did fix that issue.

Also, check your PC for junkware like conduit, and such.... Its a huge problem.  Doesn't get flagged as malware or virus, but it can bring your pc to a crawl just the same.

Sd1

Offline naw420

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 06:04:27 am »
So I did your suggestion and it came back with nothing, which I thought it wouldn't, I do a pretty good job keeping clear of 3rd party toolbars and junkware. After doing a bit more in depth look into files and folders I had found the WMP was infact bottlenecking my system down due to I had all of c:drive being indexed so of course this was an infinite loop and was eating up cpu usage while also fighting idle usage. after clearing c: drive and only adding the folders which I wanted WMP to look at it fixed the problem instantly, now I'm back to running like I should! I do want to thank the tweaking.com team for these programs they have made, out of all the programs I have seen these are by far superior and for the fact that it is still a work in progress make them even better! If there is anything I can contribute please let me know!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 03:54:47 pm »
Try using my simple system tweaker, and also install my cleanmem program (The free version) from my other site pcwintech.com

Also the less things running int he background the better, so open msconfig and see if you can cut down on the number of things running :wink:

Shane