Author Topic: Advanced Sharing button --> Admin has blocked you --> Class Not Registered  (Read 15922 times)

Offline sammydad1

• View Profile
Hi,

VERY odd issue.

Windows 7 Pro
Using Advanced Sharing Button when trying to Share a Folder (normal Sharing works ok) I get a popup saying:
"Your administrator has blocked you from running this program" and in smaller test it says  "Class Not Registered"

Normally, when you click the Advanced Sharing button here, it opens the manual "Advanced Sharing" sharing window, NOT to be confused with the Network & Sharing Center Advanced Sharing page...

I know it used to work, so I must have done something in my recent tweakings to mess this up.

1) System restore doesn't go back far enough to correct this.
2) I would rather not do a re-install.
3) I can not re-register NTSHRUI.dll as it errors out about an entry point or some such, presuming this is the DLL that is executed when you click the Advanced Sharing button.
4) All the googling I have done has not turned up any useful info, other than my own post in Technet Forums.

5) Related or not, SFC /scannow chronically terminates at 18%

6) The rest of windows seems to run pretty well.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance !!

Sammydad1

Offline sammydad1

• View Profile
Hi,

So last night I got antsy about this problem.....   I created a system restore point, then I exported my entired registry, and then I rebooted into my other win 7 "clean" partition I have for testing things and exported its entire registry.

Then I rebooted back into my normal partition, the one with this issue, and imported the entire registry from the clean partition.....  Stupid yes, but it was the only way to see if I could fix this odd issue without a re-install.

Amazingly, it fixed the problem....  well that is until I restarted and tried to go back into this partition.....  Not unexpected, I could not get into it, even in safe mode....

Restarted off my Win7 DVD and ran Startup repair & restore....took it quite a while, but when I came back, it had put my partition back into a bootable condition.  However my odd issue had returned.....

grrrrrr.....

SD1

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Create a new user and log in as that user and let me know if it still happens :wink:

Shane

Offline sammydad1

• View Profile
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

I have 2 other user accounts, and
both show the same behavior. One is older
and the other is about a week old.

SD1

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Very odd that it came back after a repair install.

In fact you fixed it twice then it came back. The "Class Not Registered" is normally an error that it cant find a dll or oc file it needs. And that info is stored in the registry, which you resotred twice. It seems like something is removing the reg keys for the file it needs.

I use to have a copy of this
http://www.devicelock.com/arm/

It was how I would find any registry changes.

I would make a snap shot of the registry, then go change what I wanted (Like a Windows setting) then take a new snap shot and have it compare and it would show me all keys that where changed.

It is how I find what reg keys are used with a lot of things :-)

Shane

Offline sammydad1

• View Profile
Hi,

I think you misunderstood me....  I already had a second partition that I only use for occasional testing; so its a very basic install of win 7 pro on my D: drive.  This is the registry I exported to test with.

My C: drive is my main Win 7 Pro install....this is the one I am having this issue with.

When I imported the entire registry from my "clean" D: install, it fixed the issue with the Advanced Sharing Button.  It was when I rebooted the PC and tried to get back into the C: drive install is when the anticipated registry hang happened.  I did the Repair Windows in an effort to do a system restore, but the Start-up Repair off the DVD, NOT a reinstall got me back into my C: drive, but the "Class Not Registered" error came back .

I can only conclude, as you have suggested, that some place in the registry holds the key/subkey that controls the action of the advanced sharing button.

Question is, how does one find the key ?

Thanks again for your help !!

SD1

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Have you done a system file check on the system yet?

Shane

Offline sammydad1

• View Profile
Hi,

Yes...SFC usually terminates around 18% but every so often it will run to completion.

The CBS.log file is mostly gibberish even as windows gibberish logs go.....

When SFC completes, it has made no difference.

There must be some simple registry item that is messed up.  The Windows File Sharing property sheet (as executed by the Advanced File Sharing Button) is not well documented.

Thanks again.

SD1

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yeah the trick is to just find what regkeys it needs.

I am not sure what the best way will be to trace that down.

Shane