Author Topic: Reset Registry Permissions  (Read 4886 times)

Offline lzrelak

• View Profile
Reset Registry Permissions
« on: July 25, 2013, 06:00:41 am »
I'm very torn on the Reset Registry Permissions program.  While it did accomplish taking back ownership of the keys that were affected, the program itself does not do what you actually have it advertised on your site as.  On your site you state that it simply adds access back into the registry keys for Administrators and System, however, there is no mention made that it also grants the Everyone group full access to all keys as well.  This can be a huge security risk and just opens the computer up for further infiltration of the registry and makes it even more susceptible to future problems.  I really do think you should state that it does add the Everyone group in there as well.  As I said, your program did work, however, I'm not sure the tradeoff makes it worth it.  I'm very disappointed as I thought I had finally found a proper fix for Windows 7 for taking back registry keys.  Subinacl worked wonders for Windows XP, but in its current state doesn't work with Windows 7 in the same sense. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Reset Registry Permissions
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 09:39:17 pm »
The info on the repair does state that. And it is only a risk if your system is open to the public. Viruses already count on them not being open and already have tricks to take things over. :wink:

Reset Registry Permissions:

This repair will reset the permissions on every key in the registry.

When certain registry keys lose their proper permissions, then lots of problems can happen. Such as not being able to register certain files, windows updates failing, programs giving an error because they can't access a certain reg key and so on.

This repair can take a significant amount of time to complete, depending on the speed of your CPU & the number of reg keys.

The permissions are as follows

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Administrators = Full
System = Full
Guest = Read
Everyone = Full
Current User = Full

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Administrators = Full
System = Full
Everyone = Full
Users = Full