Author Topic: Vista new context menu and start menu search repair requests  (Read 4585 times)

Offline Cigam

• View Profile
Vista new context menu and start menu search repair requests
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:39:50 PM »
I have had this happen quite a few times and would like these fixes to be included in the next version if possible. In at least Vista and I think a few win7 computers the "new" option in the right click context menu on the desktop will have nothing, even though all the shell extensions are there, it just does not display them. 

Also in Vista mostly when you open the start menu and start typing in the search bar it will popup a window saying explorer has crashed and then it will reload explorer, and the taskbar and everything. I have not found an easy solution to this, on some computer we could just restore it to a previous restore point or reinstall, but on most computers I cant do that.

I tried chkdsk, an sfc scan, your repair tool and those did not fix it. So I found these fixes and possible fixes below.

#######
For the "new" context menu, you need to check this registry entry:

Verify that the registry key listed below
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New\ (Default)

has the value listed below
{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}

and if it isínt, then copy-paste the above / edit the value to match this value.
This registry entry only exists if the Windows Desktop Update component is installed. If the Windows Desktop Update component is not installed, add the registry entry and (Default) value.

I got this from this website:
http://www.winvistaclub.com/t194.html

#######
For the start menu search causing explorer to crash I did not find an easy solution yet but these few are the ones I found:

http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-search-crashes-fails-to-start-or-doesnt-show-search-results/

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-explorer-crashes-freezes

I doubt its either of these, but maybe not sure yet:
http://jonathanspence.com/2008/09/29/vista-search-crash-resolved/

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/659450-start-menu-disappeared-taskbar-freezing.html

I will be trying some of these repairs on a Vista machine that has both these issues tomorrow, hopefully it will fix it, and whatever does fix it, I will let you know. Have you run into these issues before?

Offline Cigam

• View Profile
Re: Vista new context menu and start menu search repair requests
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 08:31:51 PM »
well on the computer in question all of the fixes I posted did not fix it, is there anything you know of as a fix for that?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:59:22 PM »
All the right click options, including the "New" are stored in the registry.

On an old system of mine I had the option to make a new text file disappear. Luckily I found the regkeys I needed, put the reg keys in, rebooted and there it was again :-)

And with explorer crashing using the search in the start menu is registry related as well.

I wonder how those keys got deleted in the first place?

So the fix for you is to get the right reg keys put back in.

I have every version of Windows, I can load up Vista and get the reg keys for you, 32 or 64 bit?

And I think it is a good idea to at least add the defaults of the "New" to the Widows repair :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Cigam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 07:15:04 AM »
Thanks :) yeah the system I was having the issues with was a Vista 32bit. but I have seen it happen on 64 bit and have also seen it happen on win7 too, but I dont know if it can happen to XP or win8 but thanks for adding those repairs to your tool. So are you going to add the "new" menu repairs and the start menu search explorer crash fix? if you know that fix.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:23:52 AM by Cigam »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 06:47:37 PM »
I have a whole list of changes I will be doing to the Windows repair once I start working on the new version :-)

SHane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com