Author Topic: windows update not working- continuous repair pending, restart message.  (Read 24939 times)

Offline jcmaxx1000

• View Profile
Windows Vista Update not working, always tells me  there is a repair pending- restart to complete installation. The Tweaking Windows repair tool isn't fixing this nor is Fix it and I can't get the Windows update diagnostic diagcab file to open. Like my updates, I'm stuck! Help?

Any ideas?   

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: windows update not working- continuous repair pending, restart message.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 08:20:28 pm »
This is a known bug in vista. You just need to delete one or two xml files to fix it.

Go to the recovery concole, or the repair my computer. Open a command prompt and delete the file C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

So the command should be
del C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

Then reboot and see how it does. :wink:

Shane

Offline jcmaxx1000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:00:23 am »
Didn't work. It's never that easy for me. The command prompt said it couldn't find the file, so I went in and found it but it had .old at the end. I treid to delete it but it said the file was in use so I turned off updates, rebooted and deleted it but as I said no good. I found an update fixit tool that showed some details, looked at it and it said some components were configured wrong and a file location had changed, it said it fixed it. I rebooted and tried fixit again and said the same thing again several times now. My computer still won't open the diagcab file for the update diagnostic tool. It shows it as an internet explorer file. I used a zip program to unzip it in a folder but I didn't see any .exe file or anything I recognize as a starter file in the decompressed diagcab folder.
This all started a couple of months ago when security essentials dissappeared and defender and firewall came back. Then defender window went blank and can't do anything with it, still shows it running in task manager. I contacted support but nothing they said helped (as usual). Any other ideas? It all seems to be based on .diagcab registry and/or file corruption.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 06:21:07 pm »
I wonder if you got hit with a virus. I had just cleaned up a system where the virus had put symbolic links on every file for windows defender keeping it from working.

If you have had extra symbolic links added and they are in sections that the updates are trying to access that could be part of the problem.

Are you able to even get into safe mode?

Shane

Offline viidjej

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:35:45 am »

I actually had few to no issues with Vista Basic SP2 until I ran Windows Repair a couple of weeks ago.  Have had the same Windows Update problem where it wants to restart over and over.  I've run an MS prog to fix Windows Update and also the Windows Hotfix prog.  No luck.

Problem seems to be that Windows can't find what has been installed...no update history.  Somehow running Windows Repair removed the update list?  Windows Defender will update OK.

I might try running MS Fixit...if I can get it to run....   Also couldn't get a Kapersky virus scan to run....

Any have any manual ideas such as the "diagnostic diagcab file"....need to be specific...I mess but have limited knowledge. 

*Usually I know when to stop...but not this time.... :rolleyes:

Windows Vista Update not working, always tells me  there is a repair pending- restart to complete installation. The Tweaking Windows repair tool isn't fixing this nor is Fix it and I can't get the Windows update diagnostic diagcab file to open. Like my updates, I'm stuck! Help?

Any ideas?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:31:16 am »
From the error it looks like it might have to do with a few reg keys.

Also is this the fixit you ran?
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/?wa=wsignin1.0

Shane

Offline viidjej

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 03:49:18 pm »
Ran....  http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/?wa=wsignin1.0

This claimed to fix the issues....configuration of WindowsUpdate and location of update files.

But problem still remains...and this Fixit has now been discontinued.

Can't get..."diagnostic diagcab file"....to run.

Found 2-3 of Santas little helpers who claimed to be able to fix the issue...at a price....one claimed it was an issue of file associations.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:52:31 pm by viidjej »

Offline jcmaxx1000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 04:26:11 pm »
Yes, that looked like the same fixit and I agree about the registry keys. I've run any fixit I could find that was supposed to fix vista update (some were associated with KB type updates) as well as some KB type manual update installs. I've even tried the fixit console but uninstalled when that didn't help. I was hit by some malware, that was why I ran your "all in one" repair tool. I tried running a repair from the disc that came with the computer but it says it is not compatable with my 64 bit windows version???(thanks gateway ). I tried a manual update component reset I found somewhere and after one restart and update attempt I got two messages; one said that my windows version may not be real and the other said there may be a .diagcab registry error. Then after next reboot it went back to "repair pending" restart message. I verified windows is  genuine. Why would it say "repair pending" instead of "update pending"? Seems significant. I haven't found anything that explains or shows what update registry entries should be or look like.
I should mention that I have a problem logging in to this site, both times I went to reply it said my password was incorrect. I had to reset the password with email then log in.

Offline viidjej

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 04:18:41 am »
My laptop was running OK before I started messing...so I'll just do without WU for the future...4 yr old underpowered laptop anyway.  Run a bunch of security software also.  Time to look for another bargain....

I suspect it might have to do with the .NET software updates which "might" have moved things around...or maybe some other software because at one time the folder where some progs keep their data was moved...so I had to redo my backup method.  Seems that any outside prog would not be able to change folders for a basic Windows prog (WU)...and at the least MS would know what was going on?

I stopped seeing weekly "issues" after starting to run SpywareBlaster a good while back...now AV progs and SpybotS&D do the same kind of thing...block stuff.  The new version of Spybot is interesting.  Avast hasn't found anything for 2-3 yrs.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 03:53:23 pm »
It might be .net causing the trouble.

The only real way to fix .net is to truly remove it and reinstall it.

Use this tool
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

And then restart and then get .net frame work again.

Works every time I have trouble with .net on a customers machine :-)

Shane

Offline viidjej

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 05:00:49 am »
Another issue might be the McAfee security software which I inadvertently installed (it was bundled?)....not sure about this but it did some strange things as it was installed....might be what changed some folders.  CCleaner says there are still remnants of it.

MS Fixit and so forth are trying to reset to original folders, etc...but things have been changed?  I'd like to know why the MS OS allows this to happen....if it has....

I've forgotten to run WU for at least 6 months at one time (another computer) and didn't notice the difference....so I'll keep good backups and hope for the best.

I have several progs that depend on .NET...so I'd best not mess with it...that's how I got into trouble in the first place.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 03:36:31 pm »
Trust me, I use that tool all the time.

It completely removes .net and then you can install it fresh and your .net apps will work fine :-)

But that is up to you :-)

Shane