Author Topic: Portable version - did any repairs get made?  (Read 7869 times)

Offline A Monell

• View Profile
Portable version - did any repairs get made?
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:40:14 am »
I just downloaded and tried the portable version on windows 7. I had to restart the program manually after every reboot and in the end I could see no indication of any repairs that had been made. Is this normal?
 I left default settings as they were except for "resetting services to default" as I had used black vipers site and fine tuned them previously and didn't want to have to redo that.
 Thanks, Alex

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Portable version - did any repairs get made?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 10:06:23 am »
- Windows Repair (WR) changes the start up state of a number of Services. So, WR could have "messed up" your favourite Service settings. The good news is that you can finetune these Services with WR as well. That can be done with "Set Services to Default Startup" option. See for two examples:
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,1270.0.html

- What were the problems you hoped WR would solve ? WR fixes a lot of problems but it can't fix everything.
- Restarting the program manually after a reboot is normal.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:43:12 am »
I had to restart the program manually after every reboot

What do you mean? if you are talking the steps before the repairs themselves then yes. Otherwise when you run the repairs just choose the ones you want and run them all at the same time and then reboot :-)

Right now the log file only records errors. Some people want it to record everything it does, but that would make for some huge log files (As an example, resetting registry permissions, there are over 1 million regkeys in the system, all of them would be logged). I may still add it as an option though.

Shane

Offline A Monell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:47:15 am »
Thanks for replying. I guess I am used to a program that if it asks to reboot to make changes, it usually commences upon start-up and reports actions taken and the reasons.
 I did look at the logs (for some reason nothing showed up in the logs window in the program but I found them with explorer) and it was was not clear whether all the entries were for problems found and repaired on the system or just entries that had been written to the "correct" values or files replaced regardless of the current state.
 There were no problems with the system, I was trying to fix specifically, just trying to bring it to the best possible health.
thanks again, Alex

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 12:15:00 pm »
Yeah almost all the commands and repairs are done through bat files, so I have them set to log only errors. The help infoo for each repair does say what the repairs do though.

I test all the repairs by running them on a fresh install of each version of Windows.

Shane