Author Topic: What is stopping external hard drive dismounting  (Read 7204 times)

Offline skypilotpete

• View Profile
What is stopping external hard drive dismounting
« on: September 15, 2013, 05:37:00 pm »
Can anyone please tell me if tweaking.com (or anyone else) has a utility that will easily identify what is stopping an external hard drive from dismounting? It doesn't happen often, but every now and again I get the Windows message "Problem ejecting USB Mass Storage Device - The device is currently in use...". This is despite the fact that I have closed every program or window that could feasibly be accessing the drive. I have googled this message many times and it seems that this problem is common. Some people say that you can use Sysinternals process explorer to find what is causing the problem, but I have never been able to work out how to do this. I imagine that a simple utility to deal with this problem would be very useful to lots of people.
I run Windows 7 64 Home Premium

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: What is stopping external hard drive dismounting
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 08:48:21 pm »
Hi, Use Panda Usb Vacccine to inject  from Panda.com..Or by majorgeeks.com. These are reliable sites for downloading. Due to virus or generic virus, this ejection problem crops up. When you normally insert a drive, it gets automatically connected and it tries to execute the autorun of any hidden files.

You could check pendrive for virus. You could enable showing all files in the view menu in the folder options. But when you try to delete the unwanted folders, it will not allow you to do so, because the the prgoram or virus exetuable is using the computer default processes during the time and hence, it is used by other process.
                  Once installed, click panda usbvaccine.exe and it will create a autorun.inf , file in the root of the pendrive. There are two options of injection. Computer and pendrive. First you vaccinate the computer and then the pen drive. Even though virus is in your computer further damage could be stopped by this action.
                    By vaccinating the pendrive, you could easily stop the process access of trojan, autorun suspicious programs from contacting the process from your computer. Now any folder could be deleted in the pen drive to get rid of these viruses or PUPs. You could delete the folders which deny access earlier. Once it is vaccinated, then it will not pass on the virus to other computers and your computer will not get affected by these hidden autoruns. Ok. Whenever you insert other pdrive then, it automatically injected it. Use and tell your experience. I am a long user of this wonderful free programme
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/downloads/usbvaccine/
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:16:02 pm »
I have this hapen on my drives every now and then.

When Windows or anything else, even explorer.exe opens a file it creates a lock. Sometimes those locks dont get killed. Explorer does this a lot. And when you go to disconnect the drive it checks if anything has any locks on any files on the drive, if it does it cant close it.

So it could be your AV, Windows itself or anything.

For me the problem stopped when I put my drive, which I use for backups, in the exclusion list in my Avast AV. This stopped the AV from accessing it and the lock problems went with it.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 08:37:29 pm »
Hi, Shane, the threader , i think has forgotten to continue the discussion. The reader could not say whether the problem is solved or not
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".