Author Topic: hp540 notebook laptop BSOD  (Read 17362 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
hp540 notebook laptop BSOD
« on: August 31, 2013, 06:11:03 pm »
Hi, I am here again Shane, sir
                      My sons HP laptop was working smoothly.When he was viewing a video, yesterday, the sound, the audio, suddenly stopped. He was viewing in vlc player. Even system restore does not restore the sound. But suddenly, when restarted, the hp sign comes and then whatever be the safe mode i choose , it does a flash bsod and then looping to the safemode again. I could not write what is the error message in BSOD. There is no windows cd xp provided with this notebook. i tried self test, but it passed after 64 minutes.
                    Is the operating system xp same with Pc and laptops? xp sp3 is the current os. Can i install with windows xp cd?
                    I cannot log on to in safe mode, and i do not know about safe networking mode, it is the only working mode. pl advise
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: hp540 notebook laptop BSOD
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 08:22:11 pm »
When you bootup hit the f8 key and when at the menu choose disable automatic restart. That will let you view the blue screen :wink:

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 02:51:24 am »
Hi, Thanks Shane. But the problem was i could not go to the safe mode itself. But i solved the problem.
But these laptops are provided as preinstalled and you cannot do much about it. Even the screen you get will not let you.
                     I thought of reinstalling xp, but that was not possible, because after loading the all files , if i click R for repair or for that matter Fresh install, it says that it found no hardware at all and give me the option of F3 to get out. I have tried all possible methods, but could not either repair or reinstall.
                    I have tried in bios, but it was only little options. In diagnostic menu, there i clicked each menu and noted what sort of hardware, if at all now, the computer has. There was something. like sata as enabled. I disabled it with the risk, that everything will get messed up.
                   I again restarted after saving this , again i try to reinstall. After it shows, I chose R and what a beautiful change, I could go to the C:Windows, i clicked 1 and passed the password option. I thought of closing and try to reinstall windows now. Anyhow, a thought struck me to use fixmbr. I took the risk and wow, it showed that the system has corrupted mbr and i said yes to copy a fresh mbr. After exiting this , i tried and wonder the system has worked with sound.
                   Shane, how the mbr would be corrupted, in a computer that has no internet connection. Thanks

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 06:17:56 pm »
NO way to tell how the mbr got corrupt. It does happen. I would at least do a bad sector check on the drive.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 08:01:55 pm »
Thank you Shane, But disabling Sata worked for me. Should i again make it enable in the set up menu. I heard that windows xp does not support SATA but IDE. But there was no option in the menu, only enable and disable. Hence i took the risk of disabling and i got it somehow worked. But should i enable after the problem is over. How the OS at the initial stage would have been installed. Does any prog or trojan would change?
                    I also want to know how to prepare recovery disc if it crashes again. I surfed through the net. But no useful replies.In one of the article, it shows how to do, but i could not see system recovery in All programs in the laptop having hp xp. I only had backup.
                   Please advise me that i could install all the other drivers and programs from HP site, the link is given. Then i install xp and all the drivers from this site, so that any future crash could be managed effectively. HP does not provide cds after 2003, i suppose.
http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=3765002&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3DswEnvOID%253D1093%257CswLang%253D%257Caction%253DlistDriver&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken
How to prepare hp disc for windows xp
Please i expect your reply> Is the recovery disc contain the xp os. Since laptop does not have a separate sound box and all that are inbuilt , i am asking

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:51:45 am »
XP runs on sata fine, but if it is working on IDE leave it on that.

I personally hate the recovery disks because it puts everything back tot he way it was when you bought the machine, meaing everything is out of date and you lose your files.

Instead I just make sure I have copies of the Windows install cds for when I need them.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 08:41:50 pm »
Hi, Shane, One last question

I have the cd and i want to know by installing by ide bios, and then would reinstalling all the drivers shown in the link would be able to work with laptop if again crashes.
                      Should i install all the software and programs listed there?
                      Pl also let me know that these are the things that comes preloaded in my sons laptop, apart from Windows os

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 04:32:00 am »
I had a similar problem. I have a HP laptop (Win XP) that came with 5 image CDs and an XP installation CD. When I would do a complete fresh new installation, the HP laptop drivers were missing. So, every time I was forced to use the image CDs.

But I found out that, after using the image CDs, there was a special folder om my harddisk with the HP driver software. I copied that software to a USB drive and it enabled me to re-install the HP drivers after every fresh Windows installation.

It also applied for my current HP Win 7 laptop and it will - IMO - apply to other computers as well.

Look for a folder called "C:\Swsetup" on that HP system. I hope it's still there.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:14:43 am by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 03:51:13 pm »
The preloaded software is normally crap.

They make very little from the sale of the computer, they make their money from all the software on the system. Which you will see is mostly demos.

What I would do is download all the drivers needed for it and save them to a disk. Then if you ever need to reinstall, install windows fresh, without all the crap software.

Then once loaded install all the drivers. You are now online. Do Windows updates and you can get free software for everything he needs. Libreaoffice is free. Plenty of free antivurses and just about everything else you need.

IN fact I can give you al ist of all the free software I put on my customers machines :-)

Without all the preinstalled crap the system will be much faster.

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 04:22:00 pm »
Crap ? Agree. But I kept the drivers for my HP system and got rid of the things I really don't need/use. But knowing what one needs is a process that takes time.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 09:45:24 pm »
I have written a long reply to willy to thank him for giving me a clue where to look for the drivers. It has solved my sound problem which crept again while viewing the video.It was found in a folder swsetup,Hi, willy, windows os and then all the drivers in that folder Is the order correct. Even i tried to get the drivers from HP. But those did not work, because it needs change in bios which is very risky to attempt.Thanks for willy and shine
Hi, shane, i logged on and when i try to reply send, there came the access denied message for spam filters. How it is? Sir
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:48:58 pm by jraju »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 11:48:10 pm »
Did HP recommend to upgrade the BIOS ? Then I certainly would do that.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 11:12:25 pm »
No. HP did not recommend anything.
                I have downloaded sound max audio HD drivers from the swsetup folders, and all the other things are in proper place, yet the sound , including system sounds elude me.
                 I had tested Hdd test, and it passed 100%. I installed the drivers, and checked whether there is any mute settings, . I removed all the mute barring, the default line in, by sound max. Would that have to be unmuted.
            When i play audio file, the file is playing without sound. I do not know the reason. Would i have to replace the speakers. But, when i go to system speakers, it does not show, anything needed.
               Is chkdsk /f/r in command prompt different from self hdd self test, which included memory, standard, comprehensive and s.m.a.r. t test.
              Can i do that?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 12:11:04 pm »
Chkdsk checks the file system and data on the drive, it is different than other tests as it is Windows itself testing.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 12:03:31 am »
Hi, Shane, the problem still persists. How to check with external speakers. My son was not provided with headphones. But there is another slot. Is that for the speaker plugin. I will test whether the system speaker is working first.
                Hi, Shane,sir, when i try to use the microsoft fix it by connecting the internet with the laptop, which now am using for the pc, the firefox browser does not allow to browse even to google sites. It says error of date and time . i corrected to the system date and time . It says the connection is not trusted and it will not allow me to download anything from the web or to browse any page
                   I was able to run boot scan by avast , and it shows nothing. Even malware bytes do not show any risk. On only one boot, there was a message that "windows have recovered from serious error. Do you want to send the files to ms. yes or no message. Please kindly inform me any solution.
                 Hi willy there is a folder called os, which is having three files. One image file presumably windows.How to use this ?. More over on user accounts, i found 2 help and support users, one for remote desktop and other for a person of msoft, which is marked for help and support. Can i keep these users accounts.
Expecting replies from shane and willy, as i have only limited knowledge about laptops functions.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 05:25:32 am »
I haven't got a clue how to fix this problem.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 06:51:18 am »
Anyhow thanks for the reply.
              I insert the speaker plug in of the computer to the headphone socket of laptop. Now, i could hear the audio and video. So , the problem is hardware, laptop's speakers. I will try to repair. any loose connection and defect in the speaker itself .
               I have asked you , what is the os image file and how to use it .. Is it a windows os back up. But it says that it is a image file.
              The problem of untrusted connection went of somehow. I could download and browse. I do not know how it has got corrected itself

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 09:23:02 pm »
Hi, After enlarging the laptop picture in their user guide , to 150% i could notice where the speaker is posited in the laptop. But to get it to work or look in to it, you need to unscrew about all most 6 parts including battery, keyboard etc.etc. The location is to the right of the power switch in the laptop.
                     Wrong handling may lead to total loss of data itself. So, I tried to gently massage the upper portion, by gently moving through the speakers part. Gently.
                    Urekha. The sound problem has gone. There is a loose end or loss of connection or touch with the base of the laptop. So i saved myself speakers replacement cost.
                   using vlc media player or any other player to more than 100%, the default sound (you could increase more than 200% with your speakers) would totally damage the speakers. pl see this link
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19492918.aspx
                 I read that about 10 gb are preserved or hp recovery manager. But i could not find where are they.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 02:46:33 pm »
Good job on finding the hardware problem :-)

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 08:40:37 pm »
Hi, To Willy 2
               I am expecting the reply for the storage of 10 gb for the OS recovery in HP laptop. Please tell where it is stored. thank you for sharing the SWsetup trick. I have copied to pen drive for future crashes fixes

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 09:04:03 pm »
How many logical drives do you have ? One of them could be used to store the image of your computer memory when your computer goes into "hibernation". And another could be used to store the disk image that's used to restore the OS to state when your computer left the factory.
On my win 7 system the OS is installed on the C: drive and the "Recovery" image is stored on the D: drive.

Didn't HP provide a program that allows you to create a copy of that disk image or create recovery CDs ? HP did for my system.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 07:32:38 am by Willy2 »