Author Topic: How to enable shortcuts for 'Run as administrator' in Windows 8?  (Read 25767 times)

Offline George

• View Profile
How to enable shortcuts for 'Run as administrator' in Windows 8?
« on: September 09, 2013, 08:30:14 pm »
Hello,

I can't run any program as administrator on Windows 8, 64 bit via any shortcut. I am the only user and administrator.

The problem is with the shortcuts only but all of them, e.g. cmd wouldn't start as admin from the start panel, nor from Win+X. Also, when I searched C: for 'command prompt', 15 (!) shortcuts turned out, none started elevated cmd (right click and pick 'run as administrator'). When, however I searched for 'cmd.exe' two direct hits (among several other, irrelevant) did. Then I tried notepad and a few other programs, and found the same, none starts as admin from the main panel (no error message either), but they do from the original location of their respective .exe files.

Both sfc/scannow and Automatic Repair said they had detected some issue but could not fix it. Alas, Tweaking’s Windows Repair did not help either.

I found a suggestion for Xindows 2000 and XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294676/en-us. The XP version seemed to apply, I found Secondary Logon among the services in my system, and set its start Automatic and started it as instructed, but this did not help either. On the same page a version of MS Fixit is also offered, but this is incompatible with my OS; another version that I downloaded earlier said that my system is fine, nothing to repair. I also turned to MS forum but have not received any solution.

How to enable these shortcuts please?
Thank you very much.
George

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: How to enable shortcuts for 'Run as administrator' in Windows 8?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:53:20 am »
It is just a registry setting that needs to be put back.

Are you able to right click on an exe file and you have the run as administrator option?

These might help, should work for 8.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/200558-run-administrator-add-remove-context-menu-windows-7-a.html

And

http://bcrawfordjr.wordpress.com/2007/04/01/adding-run-as-administrator-to-a-registration-file-context-menu/

The 2nd one is more for showing how you can add the ren as administrator to non default things :-)

Shane

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 07:24:32 pm »
Thank you Shane, but it didn't work for me.
I followed the first tutorial and got '....successfully added to the registry.' Yet, nothing's changed.

Yes, as I mentioned, I can run the programs as admin directly from their .exe files (after right click I see and can use the 'Run as administrator' option). So, to my layman's mind, the problem is not with the function but with the shortcuts.

What should I do?
Thanks.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 11:47:52 am »
I know on my system shortcuts that are pointing to an exe give me that option but shortcuts pointing to something else doesnt.

The first thing to do is to find out if the problem is system wide or only to the current profile.

Make a new user account and login to that account, does it have the same problem?

Shane

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:20:09 pm »
I created a new account, first just user then I made it administrator, the shortcuts to 'Run as Administrator' didn't work in either case.

I haven't mentioned that I run the Enterprise edition, could it make any difference?
George
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:26:38 am by George »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 12:10:06 pm »
I haven't mentioned that I run the Enterprise edition, could it make any difference?

Shouldn't matter.

OK so we know it isnt a profile problem, then it is in the registry for the whole system.

I just have to find out what regkeys you need :-)

Shane

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 07:42:07 pm »
Thanks a lot, you are great to take it seriously; you must be awfully busy.
Should I look up something in the registry, or possibly back it up and enclose?
As I mentioned sfc/scannow reported it'd found something corrupt but couldn't fix it. These lines in its log
say 'failed'. I can't make out anything from this, you might.

CBS    Failed to resume suspended COM objects. [HRESULT = 0x80004015]
CBS    Failed to initialize all COM objects, ignore the failure since service is shutting
CBS    Failed during startup processing, continuing with Trusted Installer execution [HRESULT = 0x80070bc2]
CBS    SQM: Failed to start upload with file pattern: C:\Windows\servicing\sqm\*_std.sqm, flags: 0x2 [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]
CBS    SQM: Failed to start standard sample upload. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]
CBS    SQM: Failed to start upload with file pattern: C:\Windows\servicing\sqm\*_all.sqm, flags: 0x6 [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]
CBS    SQM: Failed to start always sample upload. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]
CBS SQM: Warning: Failed to upload all unsent reports. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]
CBS    Startup: Failed to initiate a rollback transaction. A restart will be performed, prior to trying again. [HRESULT = 0x8000ffff - E_UNEXPECTED]
CBS    Registry value for the force canceled transactions is not available. Resetting. [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
CBS    Failed during startup processing, continuing with Trusted Installer execution [HRESULT = 0x800f0923]

Thanks so much once more.
George

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 02:45:28 pm »
When the SFC reports errors it cant fix then the problem is deep in the system.

AT that point is when I do a repair install, you keep all your programs and settings.

Which for Windows 8 is called Refresh.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3443121/how-refresh-reset-windows-8/

This will most likely fix the reg keys for the run as administrator as well. :wink:

Shane

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 08:02:34 pm »
I'd read about this 'Refresh' option before asking for outside help but found that everything non-Windows and all settings would be lost. The page you referred to also says so:

'whilst removing all downloaded and installed programs such as Java, Adobe and Games. Your PC settings will also revert to default.'

How do you mean 'you keep all your programs and settings.' ?

George

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 08:01:03 pm »
Thank you, this should work. Let me ask you one more question please.

The only cause for this pain in the neck could be Baidu PC Faster. I've never installed or let it install (I trust and use AVG PC Tuneup, not this), yet it appeared. When noticed, I uninstalled it immediately with Your Uninstaller, still a number of files and registry items remained. I deleted all leftover that I could but I only could search for 'Baidu', don't have the faintest idea what under other names stayed or what damage in my system have been done.

Once I get a clean system again, how can I block everything from Baidu for once and all? I have both Bitdefender and Malwarebytes, yet it sneaked in. Should I possibly write something in the Hosts file? What, or what else?

Thank you so much for all.
George

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 01:46:11 am »
I never heard of it, but the trick with keeping infections off a machine is keeping java and flash up to date. You would be surprised how many viruses I clean up because the customers java was out of date.

And those holes in java allow a virus to install simply by viewing a normal page that has a infected advertisement.

So as soon as updates come out make sure to get them!

Just had to cleaned 5 machines today, all got hit with the same virus that killed their print spooler and all on the same day (They view the same sites for work and a infected ad got them). All 5 machines had an outdated java. Updated everyone to v7 update 40 and no one else got hit. (This was at my biggest customers that has 30+ computers)

Shane

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 04:00:19 am »
Thanks a lot, I understand this is the best way in general, I’ll keep my eyes peeled for any updates of Flash and Java. At this moment though I’m oversensitive to Baidu. I’m not sure it’s an infection per se, but it’s sure a hazard. Please tell me, if I follow this
http://www.pcworld.com/article/249077/how_to_block_websites.html
and add to my hosts file this:

127.0.0.1 www.baidu.com

will it prevent baidu from making any change on my pc? If not, how can I achieve that?

Thanks again,
George

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 01:47:07 pm »
127.0.0.1 www.baidu.com

That would simply keep anything on your system from accessing that site, so it would only really block it if something tried down download it from their site. But it can still be downloaded from other sites.

But having 127.0.0.1 www.baidu.com wont hurt :-)

Shane

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 06:42:52 pm »
I’m embarrassed indeed to go on, this is a forum not a charity; just reporting back something rather weird.

I was too optimistic to say about that restoring reinstallation that ‘should work’. It took some customization, e.g. the background picture, but didn’t fix the shortcuts. Then I wiped, not merely formatted, the system drive and put on an old recovery image. The shortcuts worked for a few hours, then went. I didn’t use but the usual programs. Anyway, the issue is not so tragic, I can run programs as admin from the exe files. I’ll try to find out but that’s just curiosity from now on.

Thanks,
George

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 10:34:43 pm »
Just in case you have a professional curiosity about it, I won’t feel offended if you have no more time for me.

I remounted the old system image again, shortcuts worked. I have a distinct program drive P: but Paragon, as well as Windows at the recovery re-installation, assigned another letter to it. Now, as soon as I changed this drive letter back, the shortcuts were gone. Of course, cmd is on the system drive C:, it’s beyond my comprehension why it’s shortcuts were effected.

One step towards understanding  :sarcastic:

George

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 01:07:13 pm »
OK so you have the program files folder pointed to another drive?

Shane

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 07:21:58 pm »
I've installed all programs, including even MS Office, with the sole exception of Torch which just can't be, on drive P: (on the same internal hard disk). Of course, the programs function via the OS, so they put something on C: too, e.g. in Program Data. If I understand you correctly, this means that the program files folder is pointed to another drive.

George

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 11:00:18 pm »
New shortcuts directly to elevated run:

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/4733-why-cant-i-run-command-prompt-administrator.html

works for both cmd and notepad, presumable for others too.
Even more convenient to keep these on the tray (I like clean desktop) than fetching from the start panel.

George

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 10:41:29 am »
Yeah that is putting the shortcut setting for admin. Good work around when the right click menu isnt pulling properly :-)

Shane