Author Topic: .NET Error  (Read 9465 times)

Offline worcom

• View Profile
.NET Error
« on: October 06, 2013, 07:04:17 pm »
was working on badly corrupted win7 machine (kids on holiday)  Norton 360 had been completely disabled, the base filter engine and Firewall were missing from services(due to Viruses)I was able to fix the registry entries but they still would not work (error 5). Malware Bytes picked out 1168 objects, :smiley: I then ran the Tweaking.com Repair and and base filter engine and Firewall were back in business, I reinstalled Norton and everything was right with the world. I thought I'll just check if UWT V2.2 has been reset and clicked on the Icon, up came the message, "Microsoft .NET Framework" Unhandled exception has occurred, if you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue etc etc. At first I thought it was the result of the Virus but curiosity (I filled out a need to know form)got the better of me, so I went to a Machine that was perfectly normal, did a System Backup and ran Tweaking.com repair, the result was the same error message.
I'm not knocking Tweaking.com repair, it's amazing but while it might interfere UWT (which I can live with) it might also effect other program using .NET Framework that I don't use but someone else does.
I did think of keep running Tweaking.com repair over and over again unticking one box at a time until I found the offending section but then no one would about it.
Any ideas or has this question been dealt with before?
Rgds
worcom

Offline chris635

• View Profile
Re: .NET Error
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 08:41:08 am »
You may need to uninstall .net framework then reinstall. Check out the link below for removal

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Good luck! :cheesy:

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 08:47:53 am »
I forgot to mention. :omg:  Before you do this, run a system restore back up first. You never know what could happen. Best to be cautious.

Take care

Chris
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 02:07:56 pm »
The .net removal tool chris posted is what I use every time .net is broke.

.Net is so large and has so many things with it I have never found a realiable fix. The one trick that ALWAYS worked for me. A total removal of .net then reboot and reinstall .net fresh. Works eveytime.

Shane

Offline worcom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 05:02:53 pm »
I did as Chris suggested and removed all .Net References then re-installed 3.5, 4.0 and 4.5.
UWT v2.2 is in fact now working with the exception, I still get the error message and item 1 on UWT "System Information"
all information lines say not available, I guess that's as good as I will get but I do hate a mystery. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 02:30:46 pm »
It might be trying to pull information from WMI, thats how I normally pull it, and if WMI is having trouble then that would explain the NA you get :-)

And for .net, you can see why I love that removal tool. No better way to fix it then to start fresh  :wink:

Shane

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 05:15:54 pm »
Glad to here you got .net working. :smiley:

Chris
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris